Sunday, March 16, 2008

Walk to Philadelphia


A view of Philadelphia

This is the view from the Schuylkill River Trail about a mile and a half west of the Art Museum.

In the river, between the trees, you see a crew of rowers in a boat. The weather wasn't as gloomy as this sky appears, as the sun came out a few minutes later, just as I was finishing up my 7 mile walk.

The bridge in the picture is the "Connecting Railroad Bridge" and is used by both Septa (the local commuter rail) and Amtrak. On the south end of the bridge (right-hand side in the picture) is the Philadelphia Zoo. The Art Museum is a round the bend on the left side. William Penn (the statue) and City Hall is half way between the street lamp and the highest building. This picture is too blurry for you to really see it well.

The trees in the field in front are all Cherry trees, and a few had the very first of the pink blossoms that make this spot quite beautiful - they will all be in full bloom in about a week or two now. The field also has a number of daffodils too.

I was embarrassed by the woman pushing the baby stroller. My legs were so tired, that I could not walk fast enough to keep up with her. I've walked 920.75 miles in the past 4 months (since November 15, 2007.)


Another view of Philadelphia

I have plodded another mile or so, and now you can see the Art Museum - the classical building on the left - through the wrought iron fencing. City Hall with it's statue of William Penn is just to the right, even with the right edge of the round part of the iron fencing. As you can see, the sun is starting to make an appearance - glaring off the silver mirrored roof of one of the skyscrapers. The train station and the end of my walk is the tall building on the far right. I will walk under three or four bridges before getting to the bridge that will carry me there.

3 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Even in gloomy weather, it looks like a lovely place to walk. No worries about keeping up with someone else, just keep to your own pace. Try as I might, I cant keep up with many either. Not only am I heavy but Im short too so the legs only go just so fast..

AliceKay said...

That's a LOT of miles to walk, Iggy. I would tire after a mile because I'm out of shape and I know it. Can't wait for that stress test to show me just how bad of shape I'm in.

Terri and I need to make a trip to Philadelphia. We've driven thru it many times...was even at the Naval Hospital coming back home from our honeymoon (LOL) but we need a real sight-seeing trip. And we'll need a side trip to visit a friend along the way. :) Love the pics!

Deanna said...

Keep on keeping on, Iggy. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of those Cherry Trees in bloom. You are an inspiration. When I think I just don't have it in me to walk, I think "WWID" (What Would Iggy Do) and then get my lazy butt going.