Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spanning the Globe...

This entry dedicated to ski jumper Vinko Bogataj.

Today, I was supposed to fill out a form for my Endocrinologist before I go to his office. His form was the usual stupefying name, address, date of birth, social security number, insurance company name, policy number, phone number, ad nausea, sort of form... and I got to daydreaming but it was the medical form's fault.

It asked me when and where I had been outside of the United States or Canada. I'm not sure why the Endocrinologist needs to know this sort of thing, unless they think I might of been exposed to some bizarre central african virus or something... but in my head I heard the brassy fanfare from the Olympic Games followed by...

"Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport... the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of athletic competition... This is ABC's Wide World of Sports!"

I've been out of the country a few times... In fact, I sometimes feel like I've been out of the country nearly as often as Jim McKay... and that thought led me to thinking (I heard you say "ut-oh") that I could have done a TV show like Jim's but it would have been a little different. Cue fanfare please...

"Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of Ochas... the thrill of pictures... and the agony of the feet... the inhuman drama of standing around mindlessly... This is IGGY's Wide World of OCHAs!"

chinese girls walking past some ochas

We would go to China... Thailand, Japan, Korea, Guam, Hawaii, Anchorage, Winnipeg, Owen Sound, Ottawa, Maine-iacville, Jacksonville, Key West, Naples, Pensacola, Gulf Shores, Mobile, Fort Gordon, New Orleans, Abiliene, Saint Paul, Reno, San Diego, Los Angeles, Carlsbad, San Francisco, St Louis, West, Monroeton... to see orange cones and barrels and other critters of interest...

ochas in the carribeans

Thanks Photojournalist Punkn!

The Carribean, Brazil, Argentina, Panama City, Belize, Mexico City, Haiti, Aruba, Peru, the Falkland Islands and if we are really lucky, to the fabulous Galapagos to see the exotic blue and red-footed OCHAs.

midlands, england ochas

Thanks Brand New Photojournalist Jess!

And then on to ye ol' England, especially Denmead, The Midlands, and Nottingham; and then Scotland, Ireland and Wales with what promises to be a wonderful break in Carmarthenshire. And then onwards to France, Spain, Germany, Poland, South Africa, New Dehli, and onward to Australia to see the upside down OCHAs down-under.

virginia ochas

Thanks Photojournalist LadyStyx!

And then closer to home, back to ol' Virginia, Washington DC, Cleveland, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Boise, Butte, Chicago, Kansas City, Asheville, Toledo, Akron, Rochester, Cinncinnati, New York City, Manchester (NH), and Vancouver and see still more and more and more OCHAs!

an ocha in front of an airplane

Thanks Photojournalist Punkn!

If we are lucky, sometimes, we might not even need to get out of the airplane to see the OCHAs, which is good, because we will need to rest our globe-trotting, agonized feet.

As for Vinko Bogataj, him of the "agony of defeat" fame (video), he returned to ski jumping the next year but never duplicated the success he had before his tumbling crash and retired from the sport competitively. During his career, Bogataj's best career finish was 57th in the individual normal hill event at Bischofshofen, Austria.

Bogataj became a ski instructor, coaching the 1991 World Champion Slovenian ski jumper Franci Petek and supplementing his income by painting, and operating a forklift at a factory that manufactures anchor chains.

Oh well, I'll finish filling out that medical form tomorrow.

10 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Heh heh heh


This reminds me....there are 3 new ones in your folder...

Deanna said...

There everywhere, there everywhere!!!! Cool how you worked these all together.

Anonymous said...

I knew those little ochas were taking over the planet. Now I have proof!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm glad The Bella videos make you smile and keep you coming back to my blog. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE feels the same way. She's a real special kiddo!!

Call Me Cate said...

I would totally watch that show. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Interesting place you've got over here...

Karla said...

*smiles* I love it!

ChicagoLady said...

Sounds like a FAN-tastic program! I always cringed when I saw Bogataj take that fall in the opening of WWoS.

You could do commercials, to promote your show. With pictures of OCHAs, and in the background Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere".

yellowdoggranny said...

i will find an orange cone head here in west, texas and take a picture for you..

The Wife O Riley said...

If I ever go anywhere, I am definitely going to have to keep my eye and my camera out for you.

Intense Guy said...

YDG - believe me, I peered very closely at all the pictures you posted of West, Texas and saw none and in fact thought to myself, "What have we here? a coneless town???" :) Happy cone hunting!

Wifey - Its a disease... once you start you never want to stop...

ChicagoLady - you've won yourself another(!) inspired comment award! :)