Tuesday, April 28, 2009

That Ought To Knock Some Sense In Me

While walking in the woods Sunday, I heard this RAT-TA-TA-TAT! coming from over my head. I stopped walking in the crunchy gravel to listen to the woodpecker hammering away at an old hardwood Walnut tree.

The Pileated Woodpecker was the inspiration for the cartoon character - Woody Woodpecker. Secretly I was hoping to hear, Mel Blanc's "ha-ha-ha-HA-ha".

I finally spotted him or her in this tree. It scurried around the trunk so I started to walk around the tree to keep it in sight, hoping to take its picture.

woodpecker in a walnut tree
"My" elusive woodpecker is in the notch just left of center. You might just barely see its red plume. Around and around the tree we went. "Woody" just ran up and down the branches as if it were on level ground while I shuffled and stumbled through the brambles and the underbrush.

a clear(er) but still blurry shot of a woodpecker
Ah ha! Finally a clear(er) shot! No sooner than I took the picture I whacked my head into a tree as I continued to move right, to get this bird to show in the picture frame!

I fell and scratched my face up, but managed to protect the camera from harm. After my eyes refocused and I caught my breath, I got up and brushed myself off and found my cap.

When I got home and looked at the pictures - I discovered this isn't a Pilated Woodpecker after all - its either a Downy Woodpecker, or more likely, a Hairy Woodpecker... but I can't tell from the hard earned but crummy picture.

Move over Charlie... I'm putting the Pilated Woodpecker on my bucket list of "must get a good one photographs".

14 comments:

Lainie said...

Oh Boy I hope you head is OK. Ouch that musta hurt!
Nice pics. You always do such a good job!

AliceKay said...

LOL....you poor guy. The pics are great. Sorry to hear you hit your head on the tree in the process. (i have done things like this before...LOL)

sugarlens said...

Ah, things we do to get good pictures. Nice shot and hope your head is recovering!

MarmiteToasty said...

All that for a blob photo LOL....

I remember running out of the Saturday afternoon cinema matinee at the community centre, jumping over the bench by the door shouting HA-ha-ha-ha and pretending to be Woody WoodPecker lol..

Fanks for bringing back that memory....

x

Deanna said...

Oh my. That definitely isn't Woody. Am I gonna have to fly up there and take care of you? Hope you didn't do any harm to the shoulder. The face will heal. The scratches probably make you look dark and dangerous, huh. Just hope you are ok.

Intense Guy said...

Thank you. I'm okay. It more of a shock/surprise than anything.

You are welcome, Marmite. :)

Karla said...

Ouch! Hope your feeling better! But it is a good picture. *hugs*

Celticspirit said...

Hope your head feels better. Are woodpeckers very damaging to trees? We have one in our backyard that is making that tapping noise all the time. I hope it does not chop the trees down. ;)

Queenie Jeannie said...

If you "click" on the photo, you can clearly see him!!! Great job, even if you did bonk your head, lol!

And thanks for the bloggy love!

LadyStyx said...

~nice~ pic!

*clicks the pic*
*surfs a bit*

I suspect this is the one you saw:

http://tompawlesh.smugmug.com/gallery/3270577_A2hiE/1/182893123_Gyebe/Medium

Anonymous said...

Good luck with getting the photo. Try not to hurt yourself while getting it though.

The Wife O Riley said...

Pilated Woodpecker? Does that mean he works his core muscles and balance?

Sorry about your head, I've done that but I didn't have a camera in my face.

yellowdoggranny said...

im sorry i had to laugh..nice shot of the little pecker head..

ChicagoLady said...

Ouch! I'm glad you're ok, but I bet that really hurt.

It's definitely not a Pileated, a Hairy or a Downy. Based on the white cheeks, the red on the head, and the color on the wings, I would say it's a Red-Bellied Woodpecker.

Great job getting the pictures you did get. They're hard to pin down long enough to get pictures.