When I wrote my "Spanning the Globe" entry, I was thinking about creating a TV show that would travel the world to visit with Orange Conehead Aliens (OCHAs). I went and listed cities and places that I knew some of you readers and other friends I have live in (those underlined) and added some more places that I would simply like to go.
Little did I know someone had already written a theme song for the show!
You could do commercials, to promote your show. With pictures of OCHAs, and in the background Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere".
- ChicagoLady
The song, in part, goes:
...I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.
I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.
The complete lyrics can be found here.
To go with the theme song, I'm starting a new project - finding songs that feature names of towns and cities so they can be suitably modified, like Frank Sinatra's "The Cone from Ipanema", Billy Joel's "Allentown" and "New York Cone of Mine", Glen Miller's "Chattanooga Cone Cone" and "I Got a Cone in Kalamazoo", Bob Seger's "Cone Out of Denver", ZZ Top's "Coneheads Just Left Chicago"...
I'd love some help. :)

15 comments:
Marc Cohn's "Walking in Cone...phis?"
I don't have any help to offer, but it sounds like an interesting project!
How about The Coneminer's Daughter?
You know I'm going to have that song running through my mind for the rest of the day, right? Grrrrrr
Congratulations Chicago on the well deserved award!!!!!!
I Left My Cone...in San Francisco?
Congrats Chicagolady..the wheels are spinning across the Globe.
Congrats on the award Chicago. :)
And good luck with your song searching, Iggy. :)
Meet me in St. Louis, OCHA.
or The Cone from Ipanema
Sing it Old Blue Eyes!
...The Cone From Ipanema...
Tall and orange, young and lovely
The cone from Ipanema goes rolling
And when it passes, each one it passes goes - ah
When she rolls, shes like a samba
That swings so cool and sways so gentle
That when it passes, each one it passes goes - ooh
(ooh) but I watch it so sadly
How can I tell it I love 'em
Yes I would give my heart gladly
But each day, when it rolls to the sea
It looks straight ahead, not at me
Tall, (and) or (ran-ge), young, (and) lovely
The cone from Ipanema goes rolling
And when it passes, I smile - but it doesnt see (doesnt see)
(it just doesnt see, it never sees me...)
I Left My Cone In San Francisco
Tony Bennett
The loveliness of Paris
Seems somehow sadly gay
The glory that was Rome
Is of another day
I've been terribly alone
And forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home to my city by the bay.
I left my cone in San Francisco!
High on a hill, it calls to me.
To be where little cable cars
Climb halfway to the stars!
The morning fog may chill the air
I don't care!
My cone waits there in San Francisco
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, San Francisco,
Your orange skin will glow for me!
Cone Minder's Daughter
- Loretta Lynn
Well, I was born a cone minder's daughter
In a cabin on a hill in Butcher Holler
We were poor but we had love
That's the one thing my Daddy made sure of
He positioned cones to make a poor man's dollar
My daddy worked all night to make all them cones shine
All day long in the field hoeing corn
Mama rocked the baby at night
Read the Bible by a coal oil light
And everything would start all over come break of morn
Daddy loved and raised eight kids on a cone minder's pay
Mama scrubbed our clothes on a washboard every day
I've seen her fingers bleed
To complain there was no need
She'd smile in Mama's understanding way
In the summertime we didn't have shoes to wear
But in the wintertime we'd all get a brand new pair
From a mail-order catalogue, money made by selling a hog
Daddy always seemed to get the money somewhere
I'm proud to be a cone minder's daughter
I remember well, the well where I drew water
The work we done was hard
At night we'd sleep, cause we were tired
I never thought I'd ever leave Butcher Holler
Well a lot of things have changed, since way back when
And it's so good to be back home again
Not much left but the floor
Nothing lives here anymore
Just a memory of a cone minder's daughter...
New York Cone of Mine
- Billy Joel
Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from the neighbourhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach
Or to Hollywood
But I'm taking a Greyhound
On the Hudson River Line
I'm with a New York cone of mine
I've seen all the movie stars
In their fancy cars and their limousines
Been high in the Rockies under the evergreens
But I know what I'm needing
And I don't want to waste more time
I'm with a New York cone of mine
It was so easy living day by day
Out of touch with the rhythm and blues
But now I need a little give and take
The New York Times, The Daily News
It comes down to reality
And it's fine with me 'cause I've let it slide
Don't care if it's Chinatown or on Riverside
I don't have any reasons
I'm riding on cloud nine
I'm with a New York cone of mine
It was so easy living day by day
Out of touch with the rhythm and blues
But now I need a little give and take
The New York Times, The Daily News
It comes down to reality
And it's fine with me 'cause I've let it slide
Don't care if it's Chinatown or on Riverside
I don't have any reasons
I'm drinking some port wine
I'm with a New York cone of mine
I'm just taking a Greyhound on the Hudson River Line
'Cause I'm with a New York cone of mine
I'd be really unfaithful to my nick if I didnt suggest some Styx music!
Coney
Suite Madam Cone
Crystal Cone
The Cone Illusion
Too Much Cone on My Hands
Cone Sail Away
Why scads of their songs lend themselves to this project!
LOL I love how you mix it up with cone and orange everywhere.
Id rather just have an 'ice-cream cone' :)
x
LMAO! Thank you Iggy!
I never knew one little suggestion to lead to so much fun for you and everyone else!
I am totally going down part of Route 66 this weekend and I will keep my eye out. How about "Get your Cone on Route 66"?
Nice job Chicago!
Post a Comment