Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Kyung Hyang Presbyterian Church

Please forgive me if I've not been very good with answering e-mails or commenting lately. I have waited for a few days in the hopes of being in a better frame of mind before writing a new entry here. Hopefully the "raindrops have stopped falling on my head", at least for the time being.

-------------------------

Thanks to English subtitles, I've recently begun watching several television shows at night on the Korean language station. The shows span the centuries, one being called "The Iron Empress" set in year 920 AD-ish to the "Jolly Widows", a current Korean drama about two women who became widows at the same time.

"The Iron Empress" is the granddaughter of Wang Gun, the first emperor of Goryeo (Korea). She has inherited her grandfather´s vision as well as his Great Spirit. The empress fights against the enemies trying to collapse Goryeo, and as "The Iron Empress", she gets rid of her brother, son, and even her lover, for the good of the empire.

Of course, the need for a Korean language television channel is driven by the large number of Koreans that have settled in the Lansdale area over recent years. In fact, I think there are at least five Korean Churches near my office. The one directly across the street from the office I work is one, the Kyung Hyang Presbyterian Church.

Kyunghyang is a national daily South Korean newspaper. Kyung Hyang also seems to be a very common name in Korea.

Kyung means "Soul" and I believe Hyang means "Homeland". Poetically, the phrase might mean "the butterfly must go to the flower."

In any event, the Church building was recently bought by a Korean congregation and they have spent a lot of time cleaning, painting, landscaping and in other ways making their Church building a very inviting place.

church sign in korean pictograms
Notice there is an English language service at 13:00 hours or 1:00 PM for those of you that "don't do military time."

front of the church
The fresh paint was really a vivid addition to my out the window visual scenery.

front of the church
In the earlier days of the church it was understood that a soldier could not pursue an enemy that had entered through the red doors of a church.

The red doors were a symbol of refuge and sanctuary for all people who entered. To all concerned the red on the doors signified the blood of Christ that had been shed so that all who came to him could be saved. Anyone who passed through those doors was safe as long as they stayed behind them.

front door of the church
The color white is very special to Koreans. It symbolizes purity and cleanliness. Koreans have traditionally worn white both as little babies and as old folks ready to die.

The color blue symbolizes integrity and it also denotes gentleness and peace.

side of the church showing classroom wing
Connected to the back of the original church is the classroom wing.

Diversity often leads to social tension as do cultural differences.

Having watched a few Korean television shows, being mindful that television is not reality, I can readily appreciate the Korean culture and their pride in it. From a warlord / agrarian society beset by Mongolians, Chinese, and the Japanese, these people have over the centuries, forged themselves into a proud and honorable society.

Having watched them enthusiastically volunteer to maintain their new Church building; I welcome these folks to Lansdale and hope their new home is blessed with peace and integrity for many years to come.

24 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

Wonderful lesson here. I took an Eastern Civilization class back in college and was fascinated to learn so many interesting things about Eastern Culture. This was very interesting also.

AliceKay said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for posting more pictures of the church. I've wanted to see more of it since I talked to you about it last week. I hope their new home is blessed with peace and integrity, too.

jmt said...

I love the red doors and the symbolism "behind" it. I now want a house that looks like this.

Martha said...

I love the red doors, and never really thought about the meaning of them. Thank you for once again enlightening me, as well as the info about the blue on the steps. The first time I drove by it really just seemed out of place on a church.

I can't off the top of my head recall what denomination that church was prior to it being a Korean Church. I believe there is still a Korean congregation that worships at Gwynedd Sq.

Anonymous said...

Iggy you are such a darn nice person I hope somehow those people know that you welcome them. The church is beautiful and I like how they have the English service, you will have to go there and let us know how it goes :o)...HUGS

Deanna said...

I've been missing you and hope you the raindrops do stop falling on your head - if only for a bit - but mostly I hope they just STOP!

That is a beautiful church and a beautiful post as well. Once again your huge heart shines through as you welcome a culture not of your own into your world. The history, as always, was fascinating!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! :)

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs... Just because!

Karla said...

and Korean foods pretty darn good too :-)

hope your having a better day today. *hugsssssssssss*

betty said...

what a beautiful church and I enjoyed reading the history behind it

wishing them much success and lots of growth

hoping your mood gets a bit better as the days of fall settle in amongst us

betty

Heidi said...

This is beautiful. I knew red was an important color, but I didn't know that about white and blue.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I hate to tell ya, but those are the exact shows that my husband loves to watch that I hate watching.....

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..korean tv..who woulda thunk it..
i remember when i took karate i was impressed with the bowing..the japanese bow all the way down head to the floor, but the koreans bow with the face pointing up..so they can see you...trust being an issue with them...i liked that..

AiringMyLaundry said...

Love this.

The church is so pretty!

MarmiteToasty said...

Sending you a brolly to keep the raindrops off your head......

lovely post as usual....

I cant watch films with subtitles though lol..... it well does me head in having to read the words and trying to watch whats going on on screen..... I cant multitask on the telly LOL

welcome back dear you.... pidgeon steps matie.... tiny little pidgeon steps..

x

sugarlens said...

We don't get Korean channels where we live, but we get lots of Japanese and Chinese ones on PBS.

I think there are a lot more Koreans than Chinese in the DC metro area. In fact, there is a little Korean-town here. It's hard to fit in with with Koreans, since they are a tight-knit group who usually like to stick to their own. At least, that's just my opinion.

Nancy said...

I've been checking out your blog after seeing you comment on Martha's blog occasionally. You sure an interesting dude!
Trying to figure out where you live. I'm thinking the Northeast, but not sure.
Anyway, I'll be back. I think I may have written you once to ask how to "follow" your blog. Not sure. My brain isn't working so well lately!
Anyway, take care.

Nancy

JennyMac said...

LOVE the pics! That church is amazing.

Pamela said...

You could subtitle this blog "The learning channel" (grin)

But, no tests on the subject matter, please!

LadyStyx said...

The ILC? Cute idea.

This was a very interesting read, iggy. I'd be really interested to know what denomination was in that church before the Koreans got it.

Intense Guy said...

This Church was the Lansdale Schwenkfelder Church. The Schwenkfelders are a very small group of Germans (Pennsylvania Dutch but not Amish or Lutheran). I think there are a handful of congregations with maybe a couple thousand members total all of which are in southeastern Pennsylvania scattered around Philadelphia.

(This site) explains some of their teachings.

The Lansdale church group moved into the "Central Schwenkelder Church" some time ago - For more information if you are so inclined, please see (this site).

Suburban Girl said...

Is this in Lansdale? Looks familiar. I always wondered why they painted the sides of the steps blue. I thought someone had bad taste...so it is good to understand the reasoning!

Lainie said...

What a beautiful church! Hugs my friend.

Rita said...

You are a wealth of knowledge, my friend! That church does look well-loved. Even the flowers and bushes are all groomed and beautifully kept. Other cultures are so interesting. The more we know about them the more we can understand each other and find common ground. That church is a peaceful sight to gaze upon each day. :):)

junyah said...

When the North Korens get that Atomic Bomb they are trying so hard to build, they are going to paint it Red , White and Blue.....im not laughing..