
Amos Adams Lawrence (July 31, 1814 – August 22, 1886), born in Groton, Massachusetts and educated at Harvard College, was an important figure in the United States abolition (anti-slavery) movement in the years leading up to the Civil War.
He entered business as a commission merchant and eventually became owner of Ipswich Mills, the largest producer of knit goods in the country.
In addition, he was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Boston, where he met and married his wife, Sarah Appleton, as well as a trustee of Massachusetts General Hospital and president of the Young Men's Benevolent Society.
He contributed large amounts of capital to the Massachusetts Emigrant Aid Company, a company that supported the settlement of 1,200 people in what was to become Lawrence, Kansas, and John Brown's abolitionism. He played a major role in the crucial border state of Kansas although I don't believe he actually ever went to Kansas.
Lawrence also contributed to funds for the colonization of "free negroes" in Liberia, Africa. Liberia was founded as a colony by the American Colonization Society in 1821-22. It was created as a place for slaves freed in the United States to emigrate to in Africa, on the premise they would have greater freedom and equality there.
Lawrence financed the founding of the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas. He also founded a college in 1849 that evolved into Lawrence University on 5,000 acres of land that he purchased in the Fox River Valley, which became Appleton, Wisconsin (so named for his wife).
His farm outside of Boston became the campus for Boston College. In 1857-1862 he was treasurer of Harvard College.

Jayhawkers is a term that came to prominence just before the Civil War in Kansas, where it was adopted by militant abolitionist groups. These groups, known as "Jayhawkers", were guerrilla fighters who often clashed with pro-slavery irregulars, as well as Missouri militia units.
Jayhawker miliary bands invaded Missouri with the intent of freeing slaves and killing slave owners. In the course of their mission they committed some of the most unjustifiable acts of the Civil War, including a massacre at Osceola, Missouri, in which the entire town was set aflame and at least 9 male residents were killed.
The sacking of Osceola inspired the 1976 film The Outlaw Josey Wales, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood.
With the admission of Kansas as a free state in 1861, "Jayhawker" became synonymous with the people of Kansas. In more recent years the term "Jayhawker" has been applied to people or items related to Kansas, similar to the term "Hoosier" for Indiana, "Sooner" for Oklahoma, and "Buckeye" for Ohio.
The term refers to the mythical Jayhawk, a cross between two common birds—the noisy blue jay and the quiet sparrow hawk.

15 comments:
cool beans! I always wondered where that term came from and now I know thanks to my history professor...thanks Mr. Iggy!
Very interesting... we don't have a cool name here in PA, (do we?) Yuse guys?
My heart is warm and fuzzy. I just have to note, however, the Jayhawkers were also fighting for redemption, at least in my historical story, against William Quantrill who raided and burned the city of Lawrence numerous times. He was a BAD, BAD Missouri man. :) And I, Sir, am a JAYHAWK. Love the history lesson!
I have to wonder what Lawrence liked about Kansas to take such an interest in it and donate money for a college there......and yet never have visited it
fascinating bit of history today Iggy
hope the week started out good for you
betty
As a history buff, I enjoy reading this kind of stuff. They say you learn something new every day, and now I have.
If my history serves me right, weren't the Jayhawkers also known as Bushwackers? And they fought against the Missouri Gurillas (sp?) I just know the KU and MU team rivalries date back aways! Great history close to my home.
No Deanna, the Bushwackers were the "other side" (the Missouri Guerrillas) who were later led by William Quantrill in 1863 on an raid on Lawrence, Kansas.
Quantrill' men burned one in four buildings to the ground, including all but two businesses. Most of the banks and stores had been looted as well. They left behind were between 185 and 200 dead men and boys.
This attack was in retribution for the Jayhawkers attack on Osceola, Missouri two years earlier, in September 1861, led by Senator James H. Lane. In this raid, nine Osceola men were executed after a farcical trial and the town was looted and burned.
Its hard to write a complete history in a thumbnail sketch. There was sufficent ugly brutality all around back in the Civil Wwar days and immediately prior and after - and throughout our country and not just in Kansas and Missouri.
Very interesting. I love history!
i love history...and that was something i didnt know..thanks..
Have you ever thought about doing an American History blog Iggy? I'd be a huge fan!
BTW..I got a wonderful package in the mail from Pennsylvania today..:)
And I agree with Deanna...you should teach more history to us! I'd love it!!!
Isn't he great? :) I learn something every time I come here.
You SHOULD do an American history blog!! Great idea!! I am a history buff and would read it every day.
What are we Pennsylvanians called, Mr. Iggy?
Knowing how the self-righteous are easily led astray, it should come as no surprise to me that we had bluecoats doing kill the slave owner freedom raids--but it did. Murderous raids--well, they don't teach us these things in school. At least they didn't in the old days when I was a tyke. Thanks to you, Mr. Intense, I am learning more about America's truths than I ever did in our blandized History classes in the 50s & 60s. You do a service and I can add another vote for the all history blog. Even tho I do LOVE variety--hehe! :):)
Post a Comment