Happy birthday Yaya! I hope this is YOUR year!

Nearly everyday on my way home from work, I drive by the Merry Mead Farm and Country Store. I've mentioned this store previously as it has a warm place in my memories. Since it was first built, it has grown in many ways.
They used to only have ice cream, milk, homemade pies and some home grown and prepared meats. They have added a flower stand, a petting zoo, a corn maze, and a whole bunch more since those early days when I was just young boy.

Behind the store there is a large corn field with an odd sailing ship mast with crows nest for a person to watch and assist those hopelessly lost in a 5-acre corn maze. There is also place to visit and pet the farm animals and watch the cows being milked.

One of the things I like the most is the huge display of pumpkins. I sometimes just pull in to the parking lot on my way home and just watch the excited children play amongst and pick and choose their own pumpkins from a sea of pumpkins.

Hidden behind a fort-like enclosure of cornstalks, is a wonder.
The Great Pumpkin!
Each fall, there is a lighting ceremony in which this great big jack-o-lantern is lit.

Not having any of my own children, I borrowed someone's and their dad to stand beside the great big enormous orange gourd so you can all see just how 'great' the Great Pumpkin really is!

"Hey Mom! After my hernia heals, let's carve a scary face on this one!"
I will spare you the picture I took of all the orange traffic cones that stood around in the overflow parking lot like vultures...

18 comments:
I love how you borrowed other people's children. And that poor boy really does appear to be experiencing a hernia moment. Sad. Very sad. I need to take my kids to get pumpkins. I'm a slacker when it comes to pumpkin patches.
Pumpkin patches are so much fun.
Especially when you find the perfect pumpkin and pick it up to take it home, and then find that it was the dirtiest pumpkin in the patch and your once clean, white shirt is not a yucky shade of brown.
Cool place. Reminds me of the place on the other side of Canton called Landon's. Karen and I took Ryan there Saturday afternoon after we went to the Fall Fling and she bought this HUGE pumpkin. She talked about it but I didn't think she would do it. She's gonna carve out the innerds, cut holes in the front for feet, and stick Ryan in there and take his pic. LOL (if she actually does this, i will post the pic)
Happy Birthday, Yaya. I hope you have an extra special day and that great things await you in the coming year. :)
Happy Birthday YAYA!!!!!! I, too, hope this is YOUR year!
That place looks like such fun. There is a little town just North of us that has a Pumpkin Fest every year. I'll have to say, though, they don't come even close to your pumpkins. Corn mazes are a big thing here too, but I'm not sure whether they have a lookout or not.
what a neat place to go and visit! I like a corn maze although I'm always lost in them and usually at the halfway point where there is someone stationed there to help you out, we ask for directions)
I would have loved to see the orange cones :)
I would also have liked to see the lighting of the gigantic pumpkin ceremony too; that is one big pumpkin; imagine the pies you could get from it :)
cute entry :)
enjoy the day :)
I'll make a note to go and visit Yaya tomorrow to wish her HB :)
betty
You and those dang traffic cones.
I do like the caption you provided for the boy carrying the pumpkin. Appropriate.
I took some pictures here a few weeks ago. Love those Phillies and Eagles scarecrows out front.
there is a farm here in west that has a maze, hay rides, etc. I may go this year..you can also have birthday party's there...I'd like to go visit this place..
No shortage of pumpkins there. Thats what I heard, that there was a shortage this year.
That giant pumpkin must look awesome all lit up.
Great photos. Do you know you can't PET the animals at the petting zoo anymore, not since the e.coli thing the other year? Tara likes to visit the llama the best!
We need to get there this weekend. We didn't make it to the lighting the other week, that was the Saturday night it rained.
You can borrow Tara any time you want LOL for taking pictures in pumpkin patches and such. She's been trained well, what with all the pictures I took of her in Disney. I need to scan the photos of her in Merrymead's pumpkin patch back in Oct 97!
Thank you!!! You want to know the funny thing? I went to a pumpkin patch this week and ended up taking a picture of a cone...we must be rubbing off on each other! ;)
But I really wanted to see the OCHA's! *smiles*
Happy birthday Yaya hope it was a good one!
You doodles sure do pumpkins and halloween way more then we do over here....... I did buy half a dozen lovely little different shaped and coloured squashes in the week and will buy a couple of pumpkins nearer the end of the week, I know you sorta do halloween weeks before the actual day over there, but over here is just really on the night LOL
I would LOVE to see pumpkin fields like those never seen so many in me life..... and I LOVE with a passion that giant fake pumpkin.....
x
oops....... Happy Belated Birthday Wishes YAYA..... you young thing LOL
x
What a fun place!!! I always miss the northeast this time of year...
'Tis only me.:) Loved your posts..most especially this one!
Your photos and your words are wonderful!
I love pumpkin patches! It has been very hot in Florida, as of late so I am not sure people are in the pumpkin shopping mood..let alone what the heat will do to the pumpkins.:O Cooler weather is coming..so maybe that will be good for moods and for business!
I don't know Yaya, but I did take a peek at her blog..seems quite a dear soul to me. So I am sending her a belated Happy Birthday and wishing her the best on her Mommie journey!
Thank you again for sharing your world.
Namaste' to you, dear Iggy,
~g-♥
Belated happy birthday, Yaya! :)
Now that's a big pumpkin! I've never been to a pumpkin field... Or, is it pumpkin patch? *Shrugs*... Bet it's great getting to pick out your own pumpkin.
Very Belated Happy Birthday to YaYa! If you are a friend of Iggy's you must be a wonderful soul! :)
It's fun to watch happy kids. Looks like a wonderful place to stop and a great place to find a pumpkin. I don't buy them. Only when Dagan was little and we carved them together--long, long ago. :):)
Post a Comment