Tuesday, October 27, 2009

How You See Things

I got this in an e-mail and thought it was worth sharing.

-------------

described in text
A blind boy sat on the steps of a building with a hat by his feet. He held up a sign which said: "I am blind, please help." There were only a few coins in the hat.

described in text
A man was walking by. He took a few coins from his pocket and dropped them into the hat. He then took the sign, turned it around, and wrote some words. He put the sign back so that everyone who walked by would see the new words.

Soon the hat began to fill up. A lot more people were giving money to the blind boy. That afternoon the man who had changed the sign came to see how things were. The boy recognized his footsteps and asked, "Were you the one who changed my sign this morning? What did you write?"

described in text
The man said, "I only wrote the truth. I said what you said but in a different way." I wrote: "Today is a beautiful day but I cannot see it."

Both signs told people that the boy was blind. But the first sign simply said the boy was blind. The second sign told people that they were so lucky that they were not blind. Should we be surprised that the second sign was more effective?

Moral of the Story: Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative. Think differently and positively.

The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling. And even more beautiful is, knowing that you are the reason behind it.

25 comments:

Matty said...

Wow. This is a powerful message. What a great start to this rainy day. Now all I see is sunshine.

AliceKay said...

I thought this was beautiful. Thank you for posting it here.

A smile is a window to your soul.

*hugs* Have a great day!

Martha said...

Thanks for sharing that awesome message this morning!

Have a great rainy day!

CTG Ponies said...

What a nice sentiment and a great reminder!

Yankee Girl said...

I'm gonna be thinking about this all day!

I need to remember stories like this. I tend to ignore the big picture and focus on all the little things.

Deanna said...

What a positive, wonderful message. I will try to remind myself of this as I go through my day. Huge hugs!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for the share. :)

sugarlens said...

What a wonderful sentiment. Thanks for reminding us this simple moral.

jmt said...

Sunshine can make anyone with or without the gift of vision feel better. Beautiful days are felt, I think.

Karla said...

Very beautiful story and message. If we could all just stop and smell the roses and see the beauty around us this world would be much more positive.

betty said...

this is a great story, Iggy, and I love the moral of it. I think we get so consumed with living that we forget to step back and be thankful and content with what we have because even if it is not much, it is sometimes so much more than the majority of people living in the world these days

truly a lesson to keep with me today :)

thanks for sharing it and I hope your day is a good one :)

betty

Anonymous said...

VERY true.

Rita said...

I'm a look for the silver lining kind of girl. I am grateful for (almost) every painful day--ROFL!! Youbetcha!! Thanks for spreading the good vibes, my friend. :):)

Grand Pooba said...

So worth posting!

Anonymous said...

I loved that Iggy, and it is so true, I am thankful everyday for what I have and when I feel down about something I think about the folks that are really suffering and probably wishing they were in my shoes instead.

JennyMac said...

Iggy, this is PERFECT. You are such a class act. This is one of the best things I have read all day. And I am going to send this link to my family.

yellowdoggranny said...

perfect..just like you.

Martha said...

Wow, how profound! I always try to keep a good positive attitude and I usually succeed but you are so right, it's knowing you've made someone else happy that really counts.
You make people happy all the time Iggy, you leave the nicest comments ever and it really means a lot! You always make me smile and brighten my days. *HUGS* :-)

LadyStyx said...

What a great share! Thanks for the reminder.

Sherri Murphy said...

I'm leaving a big ole fat A-MEN!

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

Stopping by your blog to say hello!!! And when I read this I thought now I know why I was drawn to your blog today...this was a great pick me up!!!

Queenie Jeannie said...

AWESOME!!!! So many gratitude posts popping up in the bloggy world - it's fabulous to see!

Dorkys Ramos said...

Aww that was so sweet! Thank you so much for sharing this story. It put a smile on my face :)

And I wrote today's post before I ever got to read this one, but I guess it's along the same lines - being thankful for the special people in your life and then letting them know!

Dolly said...

This was the best post I've read all week-thanks for the inspiration:)

MarmiteToasty said...

(((((((((Iggy)))))))))))))) fank you, know YOU are loved......

so

very

much

x