Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Great Squirrel Hunt

Yesterday, I decided to walk over at the Heebner Green Space Park which is on my drive home. It is a convenient place to walk a couple miles and with it getting darker earlier and earlier, I didn't want to take the extra fifteen or twenty minutes or so that it would take me to get over to Valley Forge National Historic Park (although I prefer to walk there). As the days get shorter and shorter, my walking options get fewer and fewer.

I also decided that it was long past time to get a picture of nice squirrel, or Charlie as we call them; further thinking the ones I see in this park might be a bit tamer or less skittish than the ones of over at Valley Forge.

To be honest, I'm not sure how well that line of thinking worked out...

nuts in the trees
I put my camera in my "rapid deployment" pocket and set out looking for "charlie signs." I soon saw a bunch of green nuts hanging from what I think is a Black Locust tree.

With winter approaching, I thought to myself, "Keep sharp, Iggy. Be alert (the world needs more lerts!) The Charlies will be about, stowing away these nuts to eat during the harder months ahead."

nuts on the ground
Oh look here! The trail is still warm. I see nuts broken apart and the meats within have disappeared.

Let's take a closer look to see if we can learn anything. These nuts look like Hickory nuts. If you've never eaten a Hickory nut, please don't. They are really bitter and pretty awful. Charlies, on the other hand, really, really like these nuts and will hide them by the thousands, often forgetting where they put them.

close up of nuts on the ground
This stand of trees is almost entirely Hickory with an understory of Pine. It smells so good here. I look and look, but cannot determine which way the Charlie went, although he was here just moments ago.

an abandoned nut on the trail
I'm definitely getting closer! The Charlie must have abandoned his prize when he heard me coming around the bend in the trail! I hear some chattering noises in the trees to my right. Little did I know just beyond my view, I was being watch and talked about!

a squirrel sitting on a fence post
Squirrel Standing on Fence Post: "Hey Bob, do you think that ignoramus with the camera is ever going to catch up to us?"

two squirrels on a bench, one laying on his belly
Squirrel on his belly: "Nah, no way. Man the way he walks - its like a Neanderthal crashing through the forest! Besides, Cousin Alvin is going to play a trick on him."

Squirrel Standing: "Cousin Alvin?"

Squirrel on his belly: "Yeah, he's got his Halloween costume on. He's gonna scare the living daylights out of that Iggy dude."

Squirrel Standing: "Oh man! Have you seen his costume?!"

Squirrel Standing on Fence Post: "I heard him say he was going be all-orangey."

And with that the three squirrels hustled over to the clearing and waited for me to stumble into Cousin Alvin, giggling softly to each other.

Being careful with my footing, as there were many round nuts on the ground and I didn't want to twist my ankle on one. I was looking down at my feet when I heard a Charlie giggling and snickering. I whipped my camera out and whirled, snapping a picture with a smooth motion honed by hours and hours of practice in front of a mirror. They don't call me Quick-Draw McIggy for nothing you know.

And then my brain caught up with my reflexes. Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) would have been proud of me.

an orange squirrel with a head of the alien from the movie Alien
I ran for the airlock screaming at the top of my lungs.

Alien Charlie image supplied by LadyStyx.

23 comments:

Pamela said...

I'm scared dude.

Pamela said...

(do we still say dude?)

LadyStyx said...

*laffin* Up a wee bit late, aren't we? Somehow I KNEW you weren't gonna last until Halloween before you used that picture.

.oO(hey wait....where's my bottle of Nyquil???)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, he looks freaky! Ahhhh! Nightmares of orange alien squirrels!

JennyMac said...

Your alien squirrel scared me just a touch.... thankfully you don't see that in the woods. LOL.

Karla said...

well at least it's not bursting out of your chest like in Alien!
LOL Enjoyed this post..made me smile

Martha said...

I'm not going to that park! We do have a squirrel who drops nuts on our heads... I have started wearing a hard hat when I take the dog out!

Deanna said...

You're back on the Nyquil again, huh. Lmao - when/if I ever get out your way, I'm not going to that park!

AliceKay said...

That's a fierce looking Charlie. I don't think I would want to run into that sort anytime soon.

I got some great shots of a couple of Charlie's the other morning from my bedroom window. Will get around to posting them one of these days. And by the way, I love hickory nuts. We used to spend hours picking them up and then cracking them (with a hammer on an anvil) and add them to brownies and fudge. Very good stuff. (we had hickory nuts floating all around our basement after the '72 flood)

We are under a wind advisory up this way today and the wind is already ripping. I heard the broom I keep by my front door fly off of the top step a few minutes ago. If it's that windy down your way today, be careful on your daily walk. Don't need to be bonked on the head by flying hickory nuts. *hugs*

Sherri Murphy said...

Haha! I've been running into "Charlie" at my house here lately. He is not even an alien but I'm ready for him to leave planet earth!
He has chewed large holes through our soffits. Arggghh!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Great post! :)

We saw a Charlie just outside the gym last week. It's just a shame I hadn't thought to have my camera with me. It was happily sitting there paying us no attention, so we would probably have managed to get a photo. Unfortunately the camera was at home. *Sigh*

Yankee Girl said...

I love seeing chunky little squirrels. I think they are so cute.

The Bachman loves them too. He likes to chase them up trees.

Celticspirit said...

I wouldn't want to run into that freaky creature in the dark!

jmt said...

I'm choosing to ignore the squirrel's costume and ask this very important question: You say "we call them" Charlie. Who's we?? :)

betty said...

LOL; so now I have to know, are the pictures of the tame Charlies ones you saw on your walk or did you just set the stage to tell this story to use that alien Charlie?? cute story though!

our next door neighbor has fruit trees that attract the local squirrels; he'll capture them and take them to the park but they always find their way back; they covertly run through our backyard and slip under the fence to his property; that is when the corgi is not on guard; when the corgi is on guard, they know to stay away (fortunately for the squirrels the corgi only guards a few hours a day and sleeps the rest of it away)

enjoy the day

betty

AliceKay said...

I forgot to mention that hickory nuts are best when they're left to dry out for awhile (in their inner shell) before eating them. They taste a little "green" when eaten as soon as they drop from the tree.

I hope your day is going well. *hugs*

yellowdoggranny said...

see, if that walk had been in texas that alien squirell would have been shot to pieces by 82 hunters high on lone star.

sugarlens said...

I am lazy when I get home so I sneak out at work for a 30-minute walk. Probably not enough, but it's better than nothing.

What are you going to do when winter comes? Being pregnant, I need all the exercise I can get so I may just start walking around the mall. Probably won't spot any squirrels there, though.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Ha, ha, Great Post!! Love the alien squirrel.

Dorkys Ramos said...

OMG what IS that thing?!

MarmiteToasty said...

*Stepping away from the computer screen* gonna try NOT to have nightmares LOL

ya as mad as a march hare LOL

x

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOL!!!!!!!!

Rita said...

I love-love-love the squirrels/Charlies. :):) But that creepy orange one shouldn't be let out until Halloween--hehe! :):)