Sunday, October 4, 2009

End of the Boating Season

For me, autumn starts when the boating season ends. Some years, it's possible to prolong the "summer" into the first week of November as the boat is "down south" in Maryland. But this year, due to a full weekend calendar in October, the season had to end a bit sooner.

street sign rolphs wharf and schrader road
I will miss the long walks on Rolph's Wharf Road past the tree farm, and soybeans, and the many large dogs that have come to know me and bark in excited greeting with wildly wagging tails.

I'll miss the deer and the ducks on Schrader Road...and the ice cold Arizona Ice Tea from the Farm store.

chester the peacock
I will miss seeing Chester the Boating Peacock. Next spring he will be a grownup and have his full plumage - and be strutting about to attract a peahen's attention. He most likely will not be coming back to the boat for anymore fishing, crabbing, and sunset cruises.

I wish him the best of all things fowl and a full and happy life.

sunset at the dock, a vivid orange and pink display
I enjoyed all of my the weekends there this summer - rain or shine - and even when it was hot and humid - and when I fell of the dock in the dark and lost my boat shoes in the mud - and when the pool was crowded with little dweebs that splashed me and got my glasses wet.

It's time to turn the lights out. Be back next spring.

19 comments:

Dorkys Ramos said...

Aww I will miss these trips to the boat. Always felt like we were right there with you. And I will miss Chester too.

Martha said...

Must be a bittersweet time! I would miss that weekend getaway too! I so would love to see Chester next boating season. I think he is a very unique marina pet!

The sunset photo is beautiful!

Karla said...

Spring will be here again before you know it! And we will enjoy all your "close to home" walks and your history lessons that we all love so much :-)

Celticspirit said...

All good things must come to an end, temporarily of course. I've enjoyed reading all your boating stories. :)

betty said...

beautiful sunset picture! I am sad Chester might not be part of the next boating season :(

it must be sad to say goodbye to the season, especially if it was a good one; I follow a journal with a lady in Ohio who camps at her camper every weekend in the late spring to early fall; she too is saying goodbye to their season in a few weeks

since it seems time goes by incredibly fast these days, you will blink and it will be spring again :)

betty

yellowdoggranny said...

I'll miss your trips there too.
I think it's fall here..it's wet and in the 70's..which is close as it gets here.

sugarlens said...

Awww...luckily, spring will come again soon enough.

Yankee Girl said...

You are marking the end of boating season, in my neck of the woods I am marking the end of motorcycle season.

I'm not a fan of winter so I know I will be missing the nice weather terribly!

And I will be missing all the awesome pics of the wharf as well!

Deanna said...

I'll miss reading about all of the things you will miss. I feel bad that I didn't get our project done during this boating season. Sigh. :(

It is in the 40's here - so it is definitely Fall. Huge hugs.

Intense Guy said...

Deanna - there is no need to feel bad. It will be an off-season reminder of many things enjoyed and things to look forward to.

Hugs.

My thank to all of you - I'm glad the pictures and stories of the walks and of Chester did not bore you. :)

Ausgrl said...

Have been reading a little. It has been so long since we have spoken..Life seems to have gotten away from me and have been so busy the past few months. I have enjoyed reading and looking at your pics as always. Miss talking to you and hopewe can catch up soon.

Anonymous said...

Soon Spring will roll around again, bringing another boating season with it. :)

Martha said...

I hate when boating season comes to an end - luckily that's not often in Florida! :-)

Matty said...

After having that weekend in Rock Hall with our neighbors, I have a sense of what you feel here.

Do you have a house or boat there?

AliceKay said...

Nice pictures and nice memories you'll have until next spring. I'll look forward to your adventures next year. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Yes, goodbye summer, for a spell..hello to fall and all the wintery stories, you will tell. :)

Loved all your latest posts...including Happy Birthday to Alice Kay!

Thank you for sharing your world, dear Iggy!

Namaste',

~g-♥

LadyStyx said...

Awwww so soon?? *sigh* Looking forward to next spring when you can get back to the boat on the weekends again.

MarmiteToasty said...

How special that you have this little ret-away retreat.... sigh....

Spring will soon be here, and life will go on and things will change and we will all just plod into another year, hopefully with more hope, more love, and more smiles..

x

Rita said...

Oh Iggy! I have been away so long that you have already said goodbye to the boat for the year! My goodness! I know you will miss it, but it will be a thrill in the spring. I have to catch up on your other posts. :):)