Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Scent of a ....

For a guy like me, there is something special about the scent of a woman. Other guys must think so too, since the perfume industry is huge - with the top ten manufacturers raking in nearly $20 billion a year.

They have their stores in the ritziest, poshest places such as Fifth Avenue, New York, Saint Moritz, Paris, and London. I thought about how I might make a dollar or two - and having heard the mantra, "location, location, location" repeatedly, I first set out to find a site for my first store. What could be more propitious then this location? The intersection of Cone Street and Carnegie Way?

a street sign showing cone street and carnegie way

Next, being a crafty businessman, I decided I needed a catchy name for the product. A little bit of market research yielded names like "Guess", "Pleasures", "Imagine", and "Chanel No. 5".

I also found one named "Charlie", but I decided not to "stir that pot" anymore.

There was something about "Chanel No. 5" that resonated with me. I'm familiar with the scent, so floral - perhaps it has sandalwood or jasmine in it - in any event, I thought about the name I would use, walked some to clear my mind, even took long morning showers (which is where I do some of my best thinking), but I was completely stumped.

Well, there was much other work to be done - so I checked the supply chain and found I had all the product locked up, and in fact, the supply, never more than a puddle, was rapidly drying up. I looked into packaging - but without a name... the packaging had to wait.

And then in an instant, a flash of brilliance... why of course!! the name should be...

OCHA #4!!

Ocha - that mysterious word that means "Cherry Blossoms" in Japanese... Oh, the packaging would be marvelously simple! - inspired by a lady in Chicago - an orange cone shaped bottle with a stopper at the very tippy top.

cone shaped bottle with ocha #4 labeled on it

The talc after bath powder would be white, but have an orange sheep applicator pad. Yes!

Now it was time for the test. A roving photojournalist volunteered to splash some OCHA #4 on herself and walk down the street to see if it turned the heads of the guys - hopefully for her, the good looking ones!

I had visions of being able to afford a private jet, drink Dom Perignon like it was water, and having to trouble myself with finding a tax shelter as she heard the patter of rubber soles pounding after her!

But to my dismay... she took this picture through the mirror of a parked car.

a long line of cones paralell the sidewalk appearing to be chasing someone - the picture was taken through the mirror of a car

Oh well. I bet Geoffrey Beene and Yves Saint-Laurent had the same sort of troubles when they first started out too.

12 comments:

Jess said...

Sooo, it smelled like Ocha.
I'd have bought it! lol

Very amusing.
x

LadyStyx said...

Im guessing it smelled less like Cherry Blossoms and more like warm, melted plastic with tar undernotes....

Karla said...

wow at least she had "someone" following her! However were they male or female and how can you tell the difference on an OCHA? LOL

Deanna said...

LOL brilliant. Being the astute businessman that you are, I am surprised you didn't hire Al Pacino as a consultant. He might have blindly led you down a different path entirely!

LadyStyx said...

I dont think you can Karla. I suspect they're hermaphrodites...

Intense Guy said...

[Begin ultra deadpan voice]A hermaphrodite is defined as any individual organism that possesses both male and female reproductive organs during their life span. The main advantage of hermaphroditism is the assurance of a reproductive partner.[End ultra deadpan voice]

LOL@Punkn... You are so punny...

LadyStyx said...

So...in other words...more than three shakes means it's liable to get itself preggers....~evil grinz~

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh, well, better luck next time. :)

Anonymous said...

*wonders what it is with Japenese names/words meaning cherry blossom... There seem to be a lot of them*

whimsical brainpan said...

LOL! I love the bottle. :-)

Lainie said...

Avon might be interested in helping you market Ocha #41. Want me to submit a request? :-)

ChicagoLady said...

LMAO @ Ladystyx!

Keep working on the fragrance, you have a very marketable idea, you're just attracting the wrong admirers.