Monday, December 3, 2007

New Virtual Walk Gets Underway - Day One

I haven't charted out the whole route yet but I have started from the southernmost point in the continental USA, South Street and Whitehead Street, Key West, Florida. The Florida Keys are known by the natives as the Conch Republic.



Fittingly, there is a marker here. I have been here to watch sunsets, and sunsets in the Florida Keys are quite special. The clear blue water shines and reflects the colored sky spectacularly.



This virtual walk will be about 2000 miles (one-way) depending on where I end up! So as I turn and leave the southernmost point, I see this sign... Real life can be stranger then fiction huh?



Just up the street from where the walk started, is the house Ernest Hemmingway lived in. This home is now a park where the offspring of the many cats owned by the "Old Man of the Sea" had - literally dozens of them, are kept comfortable by an eternal trust fund.



Of course, no walk would be complete without a landmark like the one below - the Key West Lighthouse. It is open to the public and the house itself is done with immaculate glossy woodwork. The porch is a nice place for a drink on the ol' rocker.

2 comments:

AliceKay said...

Awesome pics! This is gonna be fun...for all of us. Thank you, Iggy. Good luck and good health. *hugs*

LadyStyx said...

I agree with Alice...this is going to be a fun trip for all of us. *HUGS*