Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Along the way to Homestead


Another color picture from the old days when the world was black and white.

As of December 18, 2007 at 9:40 PM
Steps: 284519
Miles: 121.08

I am now 7 miles from Homestead, and 38 miles from Miami.

I've passed Manatee Bay yesterday, and of all the times I have looked for a Manatee, I've never definately seen one.



Professor Fabio Cupul of University of Guadalajara has this to say about them:

Manatees and their relatives, the dugones, are members of the biological family known as Sirenia (thus the word siren, mermaid) and, as we have seen, sailors throughout the centuries have mistaken them with the not so beautiful sirens.



They’re herbivores which means they only eat plants.



Manatees are not territorial, they are not aggressive and they do not fight among themselves. They are extremely gentle animals. As they have no natural enemies, they form groups with no regard to sex or age. Their groups do not have leaders or any defined social structure.

Mermaids and Sirens huh? I think those sailors had so much sun and fun it left them goofy! I sure would like to see a Manatee or two though!

3 comments:

LadyStyx said...

How cool. They have manatees in the Dallas World Aquarium. You cant see them too well in the pix I took though. If I happen to think of it I'll send them along a bit later.

AliceKay said...

Manatees sound like wonderful creatures. I've been to Seaworld Cleveland and to the New Jersey State Aquarium in Camden, NJ, but I don't think either place had any manatees. I hope you have the chance to see one (or two) some day. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Iggster,I'd love to see Manatees.Maybe someday on one of our family trips we'll get the opportunity.

Happy walking!