Friday, December 7, 2007

Sometimes A Fantasy

While walking last night, Billy Joel's song, "Sometimes A Fantasy!" popped into my head, and part of it (the only part I can remember) goes like this:

It's just a fantasy
It's not the real thing
It's just a fantasy
It's not the real thing
But sometimes a fantasy
Is all you need...

...And that pretty much sums up the idea behind the "virtual" walk doesn't it?

To show that I've not lost touch with reality, however, here is the real thing:



While I walk about a mile or two at lunch time, I do most of my walk during weekdays, after getting home from work and sometimes before dinner. So during December, while the Keys are enjoying 75-80F sunny days, I am "enjoying" being bundled up, wearing heavy gloves and wool hats, 25-30F and very dark, often icy sidewalks.

I try to walk in local neighborhoods with little vehicle traffic, well-maintained, shovelled sidewalks, and working streetlights.



The good news is for December and much of January, the outdoor Christmas lights help chase away the darkness and provide cheer for the walker. This homeowner, however, seems unaware of the global warming problem or the trend to being "green".

Also, in the real world, I cleaned up what I said on the blog about "O Holy Night" so I could read it on Sunday December 16, 2007 during the memorial service. I printed it out, put it in an envelope with a Christmas card and went and visited the young man whom I wrote about's Mom. She lives in an assisted-living "village" even though she is perhaps 55 years old (I did not ask, I have finally learned to never, never, never ask a woman her age along with some other seemly innocent questions.) Life has been rough on her physically as well as emotionally. After spending a few minutes with her, I hand delivered the Christmas card and quietly left. I hope she understands what I was trying to say, she still seems so very... lost.

2 comments:

AliceKay said...

You are such a sweet guy, Iggy. That was really nice of you to go visit the young man's mother. I hope she'll read what you said and know how much her son touched your life.

I love the pics...keep 'em coming. And be careful out there on that snow and ice. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

I forgot to mention that the young man's Mom can't come to the memorial service. She isn't very mobile which is why I did what I did. I wanted her to be a part of things.

The young man's (I feel silly not typing his name, but I don't think he would want me to) Dad is in the "home" too. He was in the bathtub with the day nurse when I got there, so I didn't see him - just shouted a hello through the shut bathroom door. He is an interesting ol' codger. Used to work at a local tile factory (American Olean) which got bought out by a firm in Dallas Texas and closed down when the plant was replaced by one in Mexico. He is stuck in a wheelchair.