Thursday, December 20, 2007

It's Time for a Trade

133 Miles - Somewhere in Southern Suburban Miami

As of December 20, 2007 at 9:10 PM
Steps: 313192
Miles: 133.28

I missed part of a day's walking on Tuesday (12/18). I was tired and when I get tired the cold weather seems colder, and the achy bruised heel feels more achy, so I stopped after four and a half miles. Yesterday (12/19), I was back on the road, and walked through Homestead, Florida.



The charming City of Homestead is the second oldest city in Miami-Dade county. The South Dade area opened to homesteaders in 1898. At the time the only way in and out of the area was through a path called the "Homesteaders Trail". In 1904 Henry Flagler decided to extend the railroad to Key West from Miami. Many of the workers who helped build the railroad stayed in the area and became the founding founders of the city. In 1912 the Overseas Railroad was completed and in 1913 the City of Homestead was incorporated.

For Nascar and Indy Car fans, it is home of the Homestead - Miami Speedway. This 1.5 mile oval, 2.21 mile road course, proudly boasts of having 1005 palm trees of 15 different varieties (admittedly among other things.)

Since I've left the Florida Keys and am crossing through the sprawling suburbs of Miami, its time to trade in the "Here's lookin' at you Kid" that springs to mind when someone waves to me for a hardy, no make that, a BOOMING "How sweeeeeeee-eeeet it is!"

I remember as a young boy, going to my Grandparents house for the weekends, and after dinner, sometimes, my brothers and I would join my Grandfather watching TV. I remember seeing shows like Sea Hunt with Loyld Bridges (which I guess were re-runs), Flipper! and the Red Skelton Show.

Red Skelton, in fact little known to most people, was known to his friends in the Black and White world, as Medium Grey Skelton.*

All kidding aside, I also remember a TV show that opened up with a spectatcular flying camera shot, zooming over some sky rises, and over a bay full of sun sparkled water to a shining building on a beach with a drumroll and the rousing "From the sun and fun capital of the world, Miami Beach, it's The Jackie Gleason Show!"



Jackie Gleason as born in Brooklyn, New York, on February 26, 1916 and died June 24, 1987, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Born in a poor section of Brooklyn and abandoned by an alcoholic father, he dropped out of school at an early age and supported himself as a pool hustler, professional boxer and carnival barker before establishing himself as "Jumpin' Jack" Gleason, a nightclub comic and vaudeville emcee known for his spirited exchanges with hecklers.

However, my watching the TV show was a long time ago, and I only remember the opening shot/theme, some extravagant dancing, and a character named "Joe the Bartender."

For more information on Jackie Gleason

I will see more of the Florida Everglades later as the virtual walker in me says loudly, "And awa-aa-ay we go!" ...follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road, follow, follow FOLLOW the yellow brick road...

*I wonder how Calvin's Dad (from Calvin and Hobbes) would adjust his "The World was Black and White" theory to accommodate television being black and white until the late 1950s? This will be something to ponder while I am walking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel young now rofl....

Keep up the great work with walking!!Hopefully you will help me gain ambition to start.

Hugs!!

Intense Guy said...

It just occurred to me that the "Wizard of Oz" starts out in black and white and then becomes color... and then goes backs to black and white at the very end. Oh my poor head.

AliceKay said...

Yep, you're right about that, Iggy...it does.

Your blog brings back memories. When I was in the 2nd grade, my parents had to drive my grandmother down to visit my great aunt (who lived in Coral Gables, Florida) during the middle of winter. I can remember playing on Miami Beach and there were only a few people on the whole beach. I bet you can't say that now. I came back from that trip with a pretty dark sun tan. I was the only 2nd grader in my school with a sun tan in February. :)

Hurricane Andrew, the hurricane that wiped out most of Homestead in 1992, also took my great uncle. He died during the storm, but from unrelated medical problems. He always told us he wanted to go out with a 'cane. I guess he did.

Hey, I remember all those TV shows. Does that make me old? LOL

LadyStyx said...

You and me both Steph...now if I could only convince my body.

Another great blog. Im loving all the facts you're coming up with!

Kudos to the Calvin and Hobbes reference. You're right, Im wondering how he'd explain that...