As of December 12, 2007 at 10:40 AM
Steps: 177717
Miles: 75.60
I was unable to find the origin of the word Matecombe so I'm giving myself a homework assignment!
The picture below shows Lignumvitae Key, to which obviously, the virtual walker, not being able to walk on water, can't walk.

Lignumvitae State Botanical Site is accessible only by boat, the island features a hardwood hammock (hammock: a slightly elevated patch of land), along with an early Florida Keys home and a stone wall believed to have been built by Native Americans. A boat runs to the island from Robbie's Marina.
My thanks to Aerials Only, 801 Main St., Wareham, MA 02571 for the picture. They have a number of great pictures at their website!

Lignumvitae is a very hard wood, it is also known as ironwood. It is ideal for making things for underwater use due to self-lubricating properties. Used for ship propeller bushings and bearings, mallets, rollers, casters, small wheels, pulleys, stencil and chisel blocks, handles, and miscellaneous turned items.
There used to be a boat out to Indian Key too, which is situated on the ocean side of Matecombe Key, but a recent hurricane destroyed the pier and dock there.
But the main attraction at Robbie's Marina is feeding the Tarpon! The tourist come from up and down the Keys to feed the Tarpon.

Robbie's Website has some neat Florida Key's Art
Hmmm... I'll have to remember to pick up a T-shirt when I get there.
Feast your eyes on some Tarpon pictures and if you are adventuous, check out the webcam!
Some interesting facts about Tarpon for the tourist:
Tarpon can reach sizes up to 8 feet and can weigh up to 280 pounds.
The life span of tarpon can be in excess of 50 years.
Due to its majestic appearance of size and color, the tarpon is nicknamed "Silver King."
Because of its strength, stamina and fighting ability, the tarpon is one of Florida's premier gamefish.
Speaking of tourist, they have a tree nicknamed for them, the Tourist Tree, officially called the Gumbo-limbo, is a medium sized fast-growing tree, that can attain height of 20-50 feet. Looking at the picture, you can probably figure out where the nickname came from.

I'm not quite to Robbie's yet, so I best get walking.

3 comments:
Hmm... this homework assignment is hard. Nearest I can figure, Mate Combe is spanish for "Killer Bend" which may refer to the reef off the Key. This part of the reef is near the site of one of the Spanish treasure ship wreaks that was found with millions of dollars of gold in it.
Great pics and great info. I bet Terri would love to go diving in those waters. (i always try to buy souvenier t-shirts wherever i travel, and my family sometimes gets me a t-shirt when they travel, too)
Woohoo! With this virtual walk I feel like Im on vacation seeing all these new things!
Post a Comment