...is that an occasionally a thought or two pops into my head.
Okay, it really happens very, very rarely, but anywaysy...
As you some of you know, I walk to help combat a medical problem, a problem which has over the past few years destroyed most of my hearing because of damage to the nerve endings. While the walking was too late to prevent this, it has, for now, saved my toes which came within a few months of being removed because of bad circulation and nerve damage.
The biggest fallout from all of this is that instead of hearing real sounds (and music) nowadays, I have permanent tinnitus... ringing and other noises in my ears - this noise usually sounds like a perpetual fog horn bellowing in my head... but on good days, I can get a song going in my head to replace it. This is really good except when the song is the Barney "I Love You" or "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round!"
Umm.. what was I saying, oh yes, while walking recently, I had the pleasure of hearing a most pure violin solo playing what might be, my all-time favorite, Christmas Carol in my head...
O Holy Night
The stars are brightly shining
it is the night
of our dear saviors birth
Long lay the world
in sin and error pining
'til he appeared
and the soul felt it's worth
The thrill of hope
the weary world rejoices
for yonder breaks
a new and glorious morn
oh fall on your knees
oh hear the angels voices
oh night divine
oh night when Christ was born
This sound came from memory, a most cherished one. It was 14-15 years ago, when I attended my parent's Church for a candlelight Christmas service. I attended because a very talented young boy of 14 years old was playing his violin. This young man got up in the stillness and the flickering of the candles and played the most haunting rendition of "O Holy Night" that I have ever heard. The tune was so evocative, so plainitive, and so moving the entire church sat there in stunned silence when it was over, everyone completely shiny eyed, completely captured by the innocence and the spirituality of the moment.
It was a dark, bleak, raw night four or five years after that, when this young man, who was an honor student, eagle scout, and now a volunteer fire fighter responded to an alarm and headed to the firehouse. Along the way, he was broadsided by someone who ran a stop sign in the dark and killed.
This tragedy, among others, dimmed my outlook on life, giving me the bitter phrase "No good deed goes unpunished."
...but for a few shiny moments, while I was walking out in the cold, darkness with a light flurry of snow falling, I heard his masterly fingers over the strings of his violin... and a part of him came back to this "weary world" and gave me "a thrill of hope."
This year, in addition to getting grave blankets for my grandparents (a quirk of mine some of you know about), I will be attending a memorial candlelight service being held at that Church of distant memory in honor of those that are no longer "among" us - where I will speak of this young man... and tell them, "oh... but they are still 'among' us".
-Intense Guy
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
*sends a big ole HUG to Iggy*
I haven't looked for a violin version yet, but I will, and as I told you the other night, I'll send it to you if I can find one. *hugs ya again*
Wow. *wipes tears from eyes and re-reads in silence*
*HUGZ* Iggy
What a touching post.
I have always been a firm believer that they are here among us.
Hugsssss
Thanks for sharing such a special moment with us.
Iggy, You reduced me to tears - that is not a bad thing. Thank you for sharing.
Wow! Thank you Iggy.
What a precious memory! Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could bring back the music whenever you wanted to? To drown out the dang tinnitus! I'm lucky mine isn't as loud as yours...yet, anyways.
So thankful that you linked back to this post. Bless you, my friend. :):)
goddess bless you.
What an incredible story of tragedy and beauty interwoven. Very moving indeed.
Post a Comment