Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Somewhere That's Green

Friday evening, when I got home from work it was drizzling a little bit, so I thought I'd just walk around the block and stay close to home just in case the skies opened up.

I opened my front door and turned left, like I always do. A creature of habit I guess.

roses
I was greeting by the sight of some flowers in my flower bed. I learned long ago I had a black thumb, so I just let what ever is growing...grow. My rose bush is full of blooms and buds. I inhaled deeply.

blue baby breath
Around the base of my house, these flowers grow in profusion.

2 bunnies on my next door neighbor's lawn
After finally leaving my yard behind me, I spotted two rabbits on my next door neighbor's yard. I was struck by how green things were. A song from a broadway show entered my head - a silly one from the Little Shop of Horrors - sung by Ellen Green - whose name is so fitting - and I sang along with it as I walked.

glowing green grass lawn
I know Seymour's the greatest
But I'm dating a semi-sadist
So I've got a black eye
And my arm's in a cast.

lamp post with a huge white climatis vine
Still, that Seymour's a cutie
Well, if not, he's got inner beauty
And I dream of a place
Where we could be together at last.

climatis flower close up
A matchbox of our own
A fence of real chain link,
A grill out on the patio
Disposal in the sink
A washer and a dryer and an ironing machine
In a tract house that we share
Somewhere that's green.

Rose bushes on the side of a neighbors house
He rakes and trims the grass
He loves to mow and weed
I cook like Betty Crocker
And I look like Donna Reed.

Yellow roses in front of the next house down the street
There's plastic on the furniture
To keep it neat and clean
In the Pine-Sol scented air
Somewhere that's green.

A purple rhododendron bush in full bloom next house down the street
Between our frozen dinner
And our bedtime, nine-fifteen
We snuggle watchin' Lucy
On our big, enormous twelve-inch screen!

Beautiful lawn and flower bed with red roses
I'm his December Bride
He's Father, he Knows Best
Our kids watch Howdy Doody!

A bush or tree covered with white flowers in front of the next house
As the sun sets in the west
A picture out of Better Homes and Gardens magazine...

Blue irises gleaming in the rain
Far from Skid Row
I dream we'll go
somewhere that's greeeeeeeeeeen.

Close up of the iris
I suspect all the neighbors lock their doors when they see me coming up the sidewalk. Some might even use their panic rooms.

A complete mess in front of a messy house covered with little sign boards with ads for farm tractors
But then when I get to the "Mr. and Mrs. Cow's House", so named because of their mailbox, I don't feel quite so odd. I'm not sure what effect they are going for with their front lawn.

Close up of messy house
This house is covered with old signs bearing ads for John Deere and other tractor companies.


17 comments:

Melissa said...

First of all, let me just say how beautiful everything looks. The flowers(and I'm not a fan of flowers, so thats saying a lot) and the green green grass, oh my, like the hills of scottland.


And second, what is with the Mr&Mrs Cow house?? I think their house should be on that show...you know the one on HGTV. I believe it's called "What's with that house?" or something like that...but wow, that picture will be burned in my head until next spring.

Have a beautiful day!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh wow!! All those lovely pictures!!! I feel like I just went on the walk with you hun!!!!!

Mrs. Cow has some issues, lol!

AliceKay said...

Beautiful pics....loved seeing all of the flowers.

The "Cow House" looks like it's inhabited by people who would rather be living on a farm inside of where they are living now. I saw some very familiar objects in their lawn.

Dorkys Ramos said...

Love the nature shots, especially the irises! See, I remembered :)

And that garage is whoa.

Deanna said...

Your neighborhood must have been humming with lawn mowers last weekend. Everyone's yard was clipped to perfection. Those flower pictures are gorgeous.

All I can say about the eclectic "collection" is.... Holy Cow!

Lainie said...

Thanks for taking me on your walk. It's nice to stop and smell the flowers, isn't it? Can't do that while driving by.

Celticspirit said...

You take very nice pictures. I kinda like the Cow's house. It's different.

sugarlens said...

Hey, I saw a rabbit yesterday during my evening stroll too!

jewelzmomof4 said...

WOW I love the pictures they are so beautiful. I LOVE pictures of wonderfully beautiful flowers looks like you live in a beautiful nieghborhood.

Karla said...

See I knew I should of come up closer to the end of May...(will have to thank Ray for me missing that beautiful scenery irl!)

I noticed your flower bed and thought how pretty it was going to be when spring really set in. I was right :-)

AliceKay said...

Sorry, Karla.

Shan G said...

Ok, now

LadyStyx said...

Awww bunnies! How lucky. All we got around here is some stinkin polecat...

that...ummm...house. Uh.n/m

Left ya a couple comments in Flickr.

yellowdoggranny said...

beautiful pictures of some lovely homes and yards and flowers..except that last one has a serious case of redneck going for it..
wish you were here to walk with me..i like to sing janis joplin..

ChicagoLady said...

Amazing! I could almost smell the fragrances of the flowers through my monitor. Thank you for sharing the beauty of your neighborhood in springtime.

sexy41 said...

Beautifuls picture;s Iggy. I enjoyed them all. The Cow house though is a bit strange looking.

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You seem to have some very nice places to walk where you are.