A squabble over a zoning ordinance "down the shore" in Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, New Jersey has caused one of the old neighbors from way back to resurface. The squabble isn't between me or my folks and the neighbors - its over a corner store named the Pearl Street Market thats gone bad citizen.
Anyway, at the zoning board hearing, I met a guy named Eddy. I looked at him - he looked at me and we both went, "I know you from somewhere!" at the same time. Turns out, I last laid eyes on him about 35 years ago. My two brothers and I used to play on the beach and at the ball field with him.
In the picture, from left to right, my older brother, my eight year old head, my younger brother, and Eddy. I scanned in the picture my Grandmother took, tuned it up a little and took the file on a memory stick to the local CVS. I think Eddy's mom is going to like having a print.

Down on the beach, it calls to me,
To be where little sand crabbies are,
My neck has quite a scar,
The morning fog may chill the air,
I don't care!
My head waits there, in Sam Clam's Disco!
Just 'bove the blue and windy sea.
When I come home to you, Sam Clam's Disco,
Your disco ball will shine for meeee...

16 comments:
*laffin* After this, I so do NOT feel guilty for the pun I sent ya via email now!! *giggles*
I would have been freaking! Wonderful memories but just seeing your head is giving me the willies...
That picture is hysterical. I'm sure she'll love reliving those days!
What a small world eh? I don't think I've had the experience of running into someone after so many years and being recognized/reconginizing them.
What a cool reunion between you two. I'm sure Eddy's mom would love to have a print of this shot. Looks like you were all having a lot of fun at the beach that day...even you. :)
If I haven't seen someone for 35 years, I am not sure I would be able to recognize him/her!
Precious memories!
I can't even remember someone I met yesterday let alone years ago!! Good for you and your memory!
Fun memory!
(I think it's my current haircut bc I've had a few ppl tell me the Kathy Griffin resemblance!)
Wow, you have a fantastic memory. I would have never been able to remember something like that. Heck, sometimes I forget what I did yesterday..
I love that picture!
that is just the coolest...and such a great picture..my friend shady lane is from paramas and her dad ran a bar in bloomfields(robs) and she has regaled me many times with stories about jersey and ny and nyc...
Good job no one kicked your little round head thinking it was a football lol..
what a great photo, so many memories these old photos bring back aye..
x
After reconnecting with George last year, we started looking up friends that we hung out with back in the mid '70's and I have been pleasantly surprised at how little everyone has changed. Some have a little excess baggage or less hair but everyone looks pretty much the same. I want to dig out old photos now!
Fun pic!
That's so cool. :)
Ahhhh! Look at those sweet faces!!! Y'all look so INNOCENT, lol!
I love that you reconnected with an old friend.
What cute beach faces...poor kind in the sand!
Reconnesting is wonderful
As soon as I saw that photo, I knew you'd be the one buried up to your head, lol.
What a great memory, and I'm so glad you met back up with Eddy again.
Post a Comment