Sunday, June 7, 2009

American Road Classics

A while back I was walking in the Norristown Farm Park when I encountered this steel can being used as a trash can. I was curious about the Drydene Oil Company shown on it, as I've never heard of it, so I asked my Dad about it and he said, "Oh yes, they were a huge brand years ago." Wanting to know more, I asked Professor Google and learned that the Castrol Motor Oil Company ("It's more than just oil, it's liquid engineering") absorbed the Drydene line back in the 1970's.

Green steel drum with drydene logo
I think I just liked the color scheme.

Later that same week, I spotted this Shelby Cobra parked in the Lansdale Chiropractor's Office parking lot next to my office building. After wondering what sort of nut would drive this to a chiropractic appointment, I just admired the car.

Shelby Cobra 427 sports car
The gentleman that owned it limped out of the chiropractor's office while I was drooling on the pavement next to his car, and we got to talking. He said that there would be a Shelby Cobra car show in town shortly and he invited me to come and look at them. He told me that a 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake made history on January 21, 2007, when it fetched $5.5 million, a world record price for an American car at the time and that a genuine 289 Cobra will cost about $700,000.

So yesterday was the big day! I went to the Shelby Cobra car show!

sport car with british racing green paint job
I admired this one. No, make that, I lusted for this one. I just love British Racing Green. The price was a just little high and the owner just wouldn't haggle, so I had to move on.

sport car with brilliant yellow paint job
The polish and wax on this brilliant yellow model nearly blinded me. It didn't have electric windows or On-Star so I had to pass it up.

a royal blue colored sport car
I've always been fond of Ford Blue. This car would have been perfect except it needed an oil change and the licence plate holder on the back was kind of tacky. So I shopped around some more.

a little kid pedals a replica of the sports car across the parking lot
Then I found one that was the perfect color and it fit my budget!!

Of course, as always, the value of my new car depreciated 40% when I drove it off the lot. :)

13 comments:

AliceKay said...

Love those old cars. Really nice looking and in great shape. (that last one would be a bit small for me tho)

Hope you have a good day today. *hugs*

Dorkys Ramos said...

Car shows are so much fun. That yellow one looks other-worldly with that glow! And I'm sure you're going to get lots of attention when you drive that mini around.

LadyStyx said...

~sweet~

I actually like the maroon one you saw in the parking lot better...although I really could do without the stripes on it.

Karla said...

Looks like you had a drooling good time..I would of!

Have a great day my friend!

sugarlens said...

Wow, you sure pay attention to lots of different things. Me? I would never notice what's written on a trash can.

Glad you had fun at the car show!

yellowdoggranny said...

if i had all the money i would ever need that would be my first purchase.sigh*

Deanna said...

How is it possible that ANY car could possibly be worth that kind of money!!!!!

We have a 1972 Land Cruiser that we drove for years and years. When it came time to replace it, we discovered we didn't have the heart to sell it. There were too many family memories packed into the vehicle. Instead, it will be passed onto son, Greg. According to ebay and craigslist, one in the shape ours is in, sells for around $16,000. We had bought it used and didn't pay more than a couple thousand for it. Talk about insane!
That last car is just my style - but perhaps a tad small ;)

Melissa said...

When I grow up(and hopefully have the money!) I want a classic car.
Funny I had a little child car like that one!!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend

Lainie said...

Super awesome Cobras. I'm not into classic cars all that much but I do like these and Cevey Chevelles. (I used to have a Chevelle back in the day, a '67 SS. I was one cool chick back then.) LOL

Queenie Jeannie said...

I love car shows!!!! Looks like you had a lovely day for it too.

WHY am I the only one with non-stop rain though???

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about cars myself. All I know is:

1. They cost a lot to buy.
2. They cost a lot to maintain.
3. If you've got one then everyone you know who hasn't thinks you're a private taxi firm that set up buisness for their convenience.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and...

4. Nobody trusts me in the driver's seat of one... I can't think why. ;)

ChicagoLady said...

Shelby, one of the great small time car manufacturers that didn't sell out. Those classic Cobras are awesome! Just to drive one around the block would be a dream. And I don't think I'd mind manual windows and no On Star if I had a car like that.