Given I was late, I decided a little later wasn't going to hurt, so I took the road to Bellevue which is linked to Oxford by a ferry boat. The day was bright and brilliant, and I arrived at the ferryboat ramp just in time to miss the boat. Oh well, the beach at Bellevue looked very inviting and it would be only a short wait for the next trip!
While I was patiently waiting the ferryboat's return, I looked at the sights at the Bellevue town dock. A long, graceful crab boat rested in the water - but I saw only the really useful orange round bucket alien (ORBA to those "in the know") busy keeping the elements out of the boat's exhaust pipe.
The watermen on the Chesapeake Bay are notoriously "cheap" - they work hard and work long hours - and certainly don't throw their money away on things like fancy chrome plated, spring-loaded stack-covers.
Under the dock are a large number of swallow's nest. Here a busy Tree Swallow parent pants in the hot sun waiting clearance to fly under the dock to the nest to feed their little ones.
Soon, the ferryboat chugged into view, its not a large boat, carrying about 10-12 cars at the most, and the ride isn't all that long, but the view from the boat always makes me want to take the ride.
Quickly docked and the ramp lowered, a yellow Rolls Royce rolls off! Ahh-rooooo-ga!
This is the view from the ferryboat I spoke of...here is where I learned how to sail a boat only slightly larger than a sunfish many years ago.
I see from the ferryboat I am in time to watch the last sinkings, errr, cardboard boat races! The water is warm and shallow at the beach. The boats usually sink within minutes and the folks just step out of them and walk back ashore dragging their soggy lumps of painted cardboard behind them.
No, YaYa, its not a slasher or snuff flick. I'm still working on that. It's just the Oxford-Bellevue Ferry coming into the town dock in Oxford, Maryland.
After watching the race and the winner get their first place trophy (made of cardboard, what else?) I wandered around town taking in the sights... such as the Swans preening in the river.

...and the Chevy BelAir for sale at the local garage, before I stopped for lunch at the Masthead at Pier Street before driving back to Chestertown for a swim in the pool and walk with the dogs and settling in for the night being rocked asleep in the boat.
When I got to the wharf, my boat-door neighbor had a little surprise waiting! She had in her hands a little peacock chick. This is the woman that has only one leg but goes boating and swimming and everything despite the challenges. She is also a delight to talk to.
She and her husband are retired and own a small chicken farm in nearby southern Delaware. They grow eggs for sale and have a pair of Peacocks. Mama Peacock had eight little babies last week and one of them had a hurt leg. The hurt leg meant that he wasn't able to keep up with his siblings and Mama Peacock was getting more and more upset as she couldn't keep her little flock together.
So the hurt little chick got to go to the wharf and enjoy rocking around in their boat. He may or may not have enjoyed some wine. I do think he looked a little sleepy. They soon set off on a sunset (dinner and wine?) cruise and I set off on my walk. I was walking back down the hill to the river and returning to the wharf when the sun settled on the horizon.
For me, the view was like imbibing a fine wine. A slow start or not, I had a most excellent day.

If only the day had just ended at this point it would have stayed a most excellent day!
Someday, I might explain if I can get over feeling really, really stupid about what happened shortly after this.
:)

17 comments:
what a beautiful sunset! Looks relaxing..and breath taking. Looks like a fine day :-)
What a beautiful day and such a lovely view to relax to! And you do know that people are going to ask what happened, right? Just giving you the heads up :)
What a lovely way to spend the day. :)
Wah. I'm jealous of all your fabulous trips you take and all the beautiful stuff you do and see. I wanna come!
Oh, and your comment on my post had me dying laughing!
That looks like an awesome day. I try hard to suppress the emotion of envy but sometimes I envy you SO much living where you do. Beautiful.
Well, we know you didn't drop your camera overboard since you shared pictures. You are absolutely obligated to tell us what happened now, though. You started it - you have to finish it!!!!!!!
Really nice pics, Iggy. Looks like you had a good day (up to that point). I hope to be able to go back to see the ocean again one day. (just what did you do that made you feel really stupid?)
I forgot to ask... do they sail cardboard boats is foam "water". Curious minds want to know....
Ah, thanks for taking me along on your trip! I have never been to that part of Maryland.
So what happened next? ;)
i am sooo invious...and without stressing the fact to much...i'm free for the rest of the summer til labor day weekend..so if you need someone to take with you on those walks..i'll volunteer...beats the 105 tempts. here...you can come down here for westfest
ok...what did you do?
You always post the most beautiful pictures of the most beautiful places. Seriously, do you live in paradise?
I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED lol
X
I'll be back in the morning to read this loverly post again, but its not a little before 1am and I need to get to bed......
x
Sometimes the best days are the unplanned for ones.
Looks as if you had a wonderfuly unplanned day. WHat a breath taking sunset!
Gosh, I can't imagine what would happen to ruin such a day. You have the most fabulous weekends, and I'm terribly jealous!!!!
Thank you for sharing all the lovely pictures though.
You really can't go wrong with a day like that...the sun is gorgeous! And seriously, that boat-door neighbor of yours sounds delightful, truly. And does she share her drink? ;) Glad to see your weekend was fun - it sounds like you have lots of choices when it comes to fun. I hope the cone was able to ride along and enjoy as well!
I think that ORBA is related to my ORBA, or else they wear the same outfits, lol.
You did have a really nice day, up until, well, you know. HUGS!
Post a Comment