
Sunset on Tatooine
As of January 17, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Steps: 818,458
Miles: 348.46

Anthony Kingsley Daniels, born February 21, 1946 in Salisbury, England, and educated at Giggleswick School, is an English actor best known for his role as the droid C-3PO in the "Star Wars" series of films made between 1977 and 2005.

C-3PO is a protocol droid designed to serve humans, and boasts that he is fluent "in over six million forms of communication." Threepio's main function as a protocol droid is to assist with etiquette, customs, and translation so that meetings of different cultures run smoothly.

Kenneth George Baker, born August 24, 1934, is a British dwarf actor and occasional musician, best known as the man inside R2-D2 in the popular Star Wars film series.
Baker, who stands 3 feet, 8 inches (112 cm) tall, was a circus and cabaret performer with entertainer Jack Purvis when George Lucas hired him to be the man inside R2-D2 in Star Wars in 1977.

R2-D2 is an Astromech. Astromech droids (informally known as "astro droids") are automated mechanics, doing many kinds of repair duties. Their primary function is astronavigation, back from the days before ships had their own navigational computers.
The name R2D2 originated from Walter Murch, the cutter of Lucas' second movie American Graffiti. When cutting the movie together with Lucas, Walter Murch asked for "R2, D2" - meaning "Reel 2, Dialog 2".

Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker are the only actors credited as playing the same role in all six of the Star Wars films. However, in The Phantom Menace, Daniels did the voice work for the character but did not actually appear in the movie and Kenny Baker though credited on Episode III, he never filmed any scenes. George Lucas decided to credit him in the film out of loyalty.
May the Force be With You!
P.S., I have not seen all 6 of the Star Wars movies (yet) and I am thinking that someday, perhaps when I am retired, I will rent them all on DVD and see them in order, end-to-end. I will, of course, be especially alert for the appearance any Orange Safety Cones. I think they may have had a role or two in Episode I and IV.

2 comments:
Pretty cool info, Iggy. I love the Star Wars movies, but I'm not sure if I've seen them all. They were on one of the movie channels not long ago (maybe HBO)and played one after the other.
I bought Marty the Star Wars Monopoly several years ago. It's right over there in his bedroom. :)
Hubby's got 2 of the Star Wars Monopolies...one open for use and one still in its shrinkwrapping.
The orange cones had a bit part in the Cantina scene but in an effort to keep the movie within a decent length their parts got cut. I hear the orange cones were rather irate and refuse to work with Lucas again (although they have a fondness for Kenneth as he's one of the few actors they're actually taller than...Tom Cruise being the other).
Post a Comment