Monday, January 21, 2008

Jay Jay, is it a Plane? is it a Bird?

Mile 376 - Jay Jay, Florida

Due to the cold weather and to having something to do this weekend, the walker didn't get very far down the road on Sunday... So I won't post an update on the steps and miles today.


Near Cape Canaveral, Florida is a the town called "Jay Jay."

Looking into it a bit more, I find that it is 38F (and unusually cold) there whereas it is 18F in the Real World. They do expect it to get to 58F there later on today, however.

I also find that Jay Jay is located in Brevard County at latitude 28.646 and longitude -80.82. The elevation is whooping 3 feet. The town is also in the Eastern time zone.

I also found that there is a Jay, Florida out in the western panhandle near Pensacola which is can be confused with Jay Jay.

...but what I want to know is ...from where did the town get its name?

But there is no joy in Mudville - mighty Googler has struck out.


I can only guess Brenda Blue lives there, or perhaps the town was named after the call of the Scrub Jay.

The bird photograph from Marie Read - Highly Recommended!

To commemorate today:
I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King Jr - August 28th 1963

5 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Ah ha! The town is named after a man named Jay Jay Parrish. Who had citrus groves in the area circa 1918.

AliceKay said...

I knew you would find the answer!

LadyStyx said...

What a pretty birdie in that picture. Definitely jigsaw material.

AliceKay said...

Didn't I see another post above this one last night???? I'm sure I did...and I'm sure I commented on it. (or maybe i was sleeping at the keyboard and dreamt it?)

And guess what...you just posted a different one...LOL. I need to get to work...I'm a bit late. Will read your new post later. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

I did have a post above the Jay Jay posting on Dr. King's speech.

I re-published it with last years date (so I can reuse it next year!)

Sorry if this messed you up -