Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Canaveral National Seashore


The Virtual Walker would willingly pay the park usage fee*

* - with virtual money of course.

As of January 22, 2008 at 9:05 AM
Steps: 893,666
Miles: 380.35


Canaveral National Seashore is on a barrier island which includes ocean, beach, dune, hammock, lagoon, salt marsh, and pine flatland habitats.

The barrier island and adjacent waterways offer a blend of plant and animal life.

Records show that 1,045 species of plants and 310 species of birds can be found in the park. Endangered species include, but are not limited to, loggerhead, green and leatherback sea turtles, West Indian Manatee, Southern bald eagle, wood stork, peregrine falcon, eastern indigo snake, and Florida scrub jay.

I'd walk on either the side of the road in the first picture or on the beach any day.


An endangered Southern Bald Eagle


Run! Little Sanderling Run!

Source of Bird Pictures - David Faintich


Ahhh... Warm Water over Multicolored Coral - Blade Fire Coral and Orange Sieve Encrusting Sponge, with Yellowhead Wrasses.

There is no reward like floating weightless in warm water after a long day's walk.


Exotic Colors and Fishes - Honeycomb Cowfish (Acanthostracion polygonia) with Elkhorn Coral (Acropora palmata) and a Dusky Damselfish (Pomacentrus fuscus.)

Can you say Acanthostracion polygonia?

Patrick Lynch has quite an eye when it comes to taking pictures. I highly recommend his website if you want to see more pictures.

Source of Reef Pictures - Patrick Lynch

Next stop Daytona Beach!

3 comments:

LadyStyx said...

*makes an attempt* A-can-tho-stray-shun poly-go-nee-ya

Ok...honestly I combed the web for a phonetic spelling or at LEAST one from a dictionary entry that I could use but I didnt see anything. Im betting that you did though iggy so Im waiting to see how close I got.

Again, more beautiful pix and several I'd love to see as jigsaws. A few that would look great in my bathroom as well (I've got a beach theme going in there when I have my own stuff up).

Intense Guy said...

Actually - I don't know how. It is latin and the word breaks this way:

Acanth-ostracion

I think you got the poly-part down cold.

AliceKay said...

Beautiful pics. I'd love to be out there on that beach right now, because I'm tired of being cold and I'm sick of winter. :(

We watched a dvd last night titled "IMAX Deep Sea" (it's Marty's) and was amazed at what lives in the ocean. Wonderful videography. It was narrated by Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet.