I have enough of a mechanical - electrical engineering background to work out a rough description of a rather simple (and very inexpensive) electronic device that if I had some talent with a soldering iron I could assemble it - but I seem to have four left thumbs on my right hand (and vice versa).
I thought to myself, surely someone must sell something as simple as this?

It took a while but I found an article. As far as I can tell - no one manufactures this thing. I wonder why not? There are 1.3 million blind people in the United States alone.
So I spoke to my brother and he knows a guy from college that owns a company makes things electronic... We will see if it goes anywhere.
In the meantime, I'm going to put up the "Help Wanted" shingle. Anyone that can handle a soldering iron and read circuit diagrams, please apply.
:)

9 comments:
sounds like a good idea so why haven't they done it yet? *doesn't apply for the job because it's too cold in Pennsylvania*
That article was from 1987. It is hard to believe nobody acted on that idea long ago.
Hey I'm pretty good with a glue gun, will that help?
What a graet idea! It's hard to believe that it hasn't been put to good use.
Terri has a soldering iron and he can read circuit diagrams. I'll show this to him when he has some time and see what he has to say.
Wooooohooooooooo! Found one of these things -
A Light Detector
What a wonderful idea!
I watched my dad use a soldering iron as a kid, and I helped him do stuff with it, so I can help there. But the circuit diagrams? Nope, sorry.
I think Terri is your best bet yet, but does he have the time? LOL
That's a totally cool light detector, Iggy!
Neat idea. :)
It's strange, actually. There are loads of "low vision aids" made. But very few items are actually made for people who have no vision at all. And yet, it's not like blindness is rare. *Shrugs*
Post a Comment