Friday, January 9, 2009

Its not a Bridge or a Culvert!

The structure I thought was a culvert in the previous entry has been identified. My thanks to Harry L. Rinker for the heads up.

Its a stone aqueduct built for the Schuylkill Canal! Here is a very similar aquaduct that is in the same locality - I'll have to find this one! (Note to self: take GPS - 40°07′44″N 75°28′02″W) No wonder I couldn't figure out what road used this "bridge"!

Stone aqueduct built for the Schuylkill Canal over Crossmans Run

This picture was taken by J. Clear on January 13, 2008 and included in Wikipedia! This puts the age of the structure, which was built no later than 1825 at 184 years old.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Have you seen Ratatouille?...I kinda looks the the underpass which kept them safe from the old lady with the shotgun!

Have a nice friday

-Melissa

MarmiteToasty said...

I LOVE the bricks in this structure.....

oh and look what I found..... HIDE YOUR DEAR LITTLE SQUIRRELS....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090109/tuk-britain-nuts-over-squirrel-flavour-c-a7ad41d.html

x

ChicagoLady said...

Oh, so it's an aqueduct! Either way, because of the "ditch" that the aqueduct crosses, allowing people to get from one side to the other, if you removed the aqueduct, you'd need to either build a bridge, or fill in the "ditch" or remove all the water.

LadyStyx said...

Looks to be in great shape considering the age of the subject.

Anonymous said...

There you are then... Now we know!