Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The 12th Day of Christmas

Today is Epiphany, a Christian holiday celebrating the visit of the Magi (the wisemen) to the infant Jesus in the Manager in Bethlehem. It is also known as the 12th and last day of Christmas - and is the traditional day that folks take down the Christmas decorations and put the Christmas tree out for pickup.

For me, the Christmas holiday isn't over until I get to see the Christmas display at Longwood Gardens.

I'll do a more complete entry on this year's visit to the gardens later - physical therapy has been brutal of late, and its a struggle for me to type much at one time.

However, here's a sneak preview...

breath taking splash of red and white flowers

Inside the conservatory - the theme is red and white flowers. Breath-taking...visually, aromatically, aurally and when you get to the hot chocolate stand, tactilely and gastronomically.

water fountains lit by multicolor lights

Its easy to get dazzled by the lights, music and sheer beauty of the gardens. The outdoor fountain display is magnificent. The traditional holiday music is played in the outdoor theater and a computer runs the lights and fountains to the beat of the music.

5 or 6 stacked piles of lime colored traffic safety cones some saw horse barriers, and some orange striped barrels all huddled together with two exit signs which point in opposite directions!

Dazzled by the show, and confused by the signs, here we see traffic leaving the gardens, literally, stacking up.

13 comments:

LadyStyx said...

*laffin @ that last pic*

sugarlens said...

My husband and I visited Longwood Gardens last summer. It was one of the hottest day of the year.

We were also pressured for time so didn't walk around as much as I would have liked it.

Can't wait to see your photos. I am sure they are amazing.

Deanna said...

LMAO at the confused OCHAS. I would have been a tad confused too! The teaser pictures are mighty purdy. Will anxiously wait for the rest...

I had a feeling PT was going to kick your arse. Just keep telling yourself that it will be worth it in the long run.

Huge hugssssssssssss.

MarmiteToasty said...

Wow, looks like a great place, LAFFS at the cones stacking up in their new clothes.....:)

Sorry about the physio :( wish I was there to rub ya shoulder for ya.... or get ya in a 'half nelson' LMFAO....

Back to paperwork.....

x

Kaylee said...

i hate you are okay

Kaylee said...

How could I be a christian and be going "what" at your post? I follow my religion so closely huh?

AliceKay said...

It all depends on what religion you follow, Kaylee. There are several religons within the Christian faith, but not all have the same beliefs or practices.

Beautiful flowers, Iggy. Will look forward to more picture posting.

The Wife O Riley said...

Those poor cones! They're going to be there for hours!

Kaylee said...

"It all depends on what religion you follow, Kaylee. There are several religons within the Christian faith, but not all have the same beliefs or practices."

That explains it Alicekay. Iggy is reminding me how I need to get back to church!

ChicagoLady said...

I think the Barrel Aliens are keeping the OCHA's from causing trouble. Almost like they had to "round 'em up".

The Longwood Gardens sounds like a beautiful place to go visit.

*Adds it to my long list of things to do in the Philly area*

yellowdoggranny said...

"On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me..a partridge in a pear trrreeeeee."

Anonymous said...

Great post Iggy.

Hope your shoulder is feeling better soon *Hugs*

Melissa said...

I thought I was the only one whoe celebrated this day.Week refer to the 6th as day of the Reyes.