While I normally take the "tube" (the underground subway system is excellent) I was enticed to take a cab ride near Marble Arch - a white marble monument near Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park, at the western end of Oxford Street in London, England, near the tube station of the same name.
The name Marble Arch also refers to the locality of west London where the arch is situated, particularly the upper half of Edgware Road. Historically, only members of the royal family and the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery were allowed to pass through the arch in ceremonial procession. Today, the arch is open to pedestrians.
The entire country was enamoured with the ongoing the 1996 European Football (Soccer) Championship being hosted by England. The tournament's final stages took place between June, 8th and June 30th, 1996.
Germany beat the Czech Republic 2–1 in Wembley Stadium, London to win the championship after having previously beaten England in the semi-finals.
But football/soccer and its rowdy supporters weren't on the forefront of my mind as I waited to cross the very busy Oxford Road. For some strange, unaccountable reason, I wanted a chocolate bar with peanuts.

Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park is the greenery behind the taxi. The local artist try to sell their paintings along the iron fence here. Edgware Road is home to the elegant buildings you see in the background on the left. Some of them are foreign embassies and some of them are very elegant hotels with very classy toilet facilities.

11 comments:
Nice...You luck bum you!
=)
The tube is excellent??? Hmm... You've not been to London recently then!
Oh yes, it "was" excellent. But now... Not so much!
I wanna go to England some day...oh well..if wishes were horses then beggers would be riding eh?
Tori,
It is true I've not been on the tube recently - but compared to the system in Philadelphia (and probably New York City) it was clean, fast, and well signed and one could easily figure out where they were and where to go.
The system in Philadelphia is dirty, irregular, badly signed, and at times dangerous to ride.
Cool paint job on that car. I see the other one has something painted on it, too.
OK, I'll give you that one... it's now not as clean as it was, and often breaks down or ends up closed for maintenence. But I guess when compared to the one you described then I can see why you say it's excellent. It's not as great as it used to be, but it's usually regular, and very well sign posted. Also - if you don't include the possibility of it breaking down - it is quite safe to ride as a general rule.
kewl cab!
It looks like the other car says Time Out, which could be the global city travel guide company.
That snickers is making me hungry!
Iggy, will you take me on the Philly subway? Pretty please??? LOL
now THAT'S a great picture..
Im a tad lucky cos when I go up to London its usually with either me matie Ann or Sharon and they are both Londoners and know their way around where as I would get lost....
I did go up to London (which is only like an hour and half away by car) years ago on me own, before marriage and kids, and I got so lost on the underground that I was down there for nearly 6 hours LMFAO....
Glad you got to come over and visit our world a little.... did you go for jellied eels and green mash whilst in the smoke lol
There is so much more that I wanted to of done whilst Ive been in the states, been there 3 times now and always come back with 'wish I had dones' buzzing around me head... oh well....
x
Good picture. It kind of goes with your last post.
Post a Comment