Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Years Resolution

Ever since the ill-fated New Years resolution that left me sleeping on the sofa at night, I've been a little leery of making them - but I promised someone this year I would at least make one of them - for "them," although I know its really for "me." I'm not real good with resolutions - but promises to others - well, I do try to keep my word.

For those that don't already know - several years ago (I should almost say "once upon a time" its been so long ago) I made a New Years resolution to sleep on my sofa until the time came I had company in bed. The "intent", which badly backfired, was to prod me to "get out there" and starting dating people again - something I had given up as a lost cause. Well, it sort of turned out to actually be a lost cause since I've gotten rather used to sleeping on the sofa - even in a house with four bedrooms, three of them with beds (the other has a sleeper sofa).

So, anyway, here it is...

a lonely looking path through the trees, the trees are green and overhang the trail and there is no one in sight

...this year I resolve to put some people in these pictures, people I am walking and talking with.

I used to belong to a walking club, the Brandywine Walk Club, and even walked across the state of Delaware with them in one day. Sounds impressive doesn't it? Crossing the whole state, and in a day, no less, but Delaware is only 8 miles wide and one point and it is only 16 miles wide where we walked, on the flat and level Chesapeake and Delaware canal. I even joined them on a couple other walks but these people were roadrunners...or at least I nearly had to run to keep up with them! I'm talking about "8 month pregnant moms pushing twins on a baby stroller passing me" slow...so I didn't get a whole lot of pleasure out of those walks.

So, I'm going to ask at the next Physical Therapy session if they have a walking club for the folks doing hip, knee, and/or ankle rehab - and if so, I'm going join up...and if not, I'm going to keep looking for a local "sedate plodders" club to join. Any helpful suggestions (or even heckling or catcalls) are welcomed.

By the way, the trail in the picture is on the Schuylkill River a little west of Phoenixville, near the closed Pennhurst State (Mental) Hospital which is now being turned into - you guessed it - more (bleeping) housing developments. I may have been among the last ones to walk this trail...

18 comments:

LadyStyx said...

What a wonderful idea!

AliceKay said...

Good luck. Will look forward to your pics. :)

MarmiteToasty said...

Dam, where did me post go???

x

MarmiteToasty said...

I'll sleep on it and post again in the morning, seeing as its not 8 minutes past midnight.......

x

Anonymous said...

Shame I'm all the way over here... Sounds like you walk just my speed (honestly... Especially if I'm using my cane). I don't do fast... I prefer to take my time and enjoy the walk. Takes me twice as long to walk to town as it does for Mam and Kelly to do the walk.

ChicagoLady said...

I think that's a great idea, Iggy! It's always more fun to have people to walk with and talk with. When you mentioned walking across Delaware, my first thought was "Ummm, Delaware ain't that big" LOL But still, eight miles is more than I've walked in a really really long time.

Who knows, maybe you'll have so much fun with a new walking group you won't need us as much :-(

Dorkys Ramos said...

I think that's a wonderful solution. Keep us posted on your progress. And I can't wait to see the new characters that pop into your life :)

Deanna said...

Look for a group walking to Missouri...
That is a great resolution Iggy. I hope you find a group worthy of you. Maybe check with your Conservation or Natural Resources Departments. They might have nature walk groups.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I wish for you lots of great company this coming year!!! Reading your work I find it hard to believe you aren't already surrounded by gobs of people! Get out there and live your life hun!

And thank you for the birthday wishes!!! I took some great meds and am feeling much better right now.

MarmiteToasty said...

Hang on one cotton picking minute..... you do know that if you meet anyone that ya take a fancy to, you HAVE to put her past us, you know, like quality control, you cant just be hooking up with any old bird...... :)

I think the walking thing is a great idea, that is what I miss more then anything, is hiking over the South Downs.... I better get that back in time or someones heads are gonna roll...

ps.... get some new crisp sheets for that bed of yours, and get your arse back in it...... :)

Happy Sunday..... its taken me most of the afternoon and evening to de-dec the house and try and clean up ready for all the minded nippers coming back tomorrow...... did I mention.... I DONT WANNA DO THIS JOB NO MORE lol....I wanna grow veggies and raise chickens and Llama and make jam and chutneys LOL....

x

whimsical brainpan said...

Good luck!

I know how hard it can be to get out there. I need to do the same and make friends myself. I think it is something that is harder to do as we get older.

I hope to see several new faces in your photos soon.

The Wife O Riley said...

That's a great idea! Good luck on your walk partner search!

As for the other companion thing, anyone would be lucky to have you!

Karla said...

I'll go walking with you Iggy...if you promise to go really really slow and not too far away from somewhere to sit!! *hugsss*

Anonymous said...

Great Idea Iggy! I wish you nothing but success!

spacegirl60 said...

Finding a walking group that will keep up with your speed is a good idea. Although I seem to remember you enjoy walking far distances. You might out do some of them in that area.

Good luck...it is always nice to talk with others who have a common interest.

MarmiteToasty said...

Well, Ive sat here for 3 and a bit hours since me last of me nippers went at 6.30 today, and have typed and typed and bloody typed almost all me new childminding policies up today........ sigh........ so, if you meet anyone on your travels that would like to be me secretary for one day a week, then shove them over this way :)

I aint been ignoring ya, just aint stopped working, what with me inspection looming and the new babies starting and me trying to get re-registered for 2 babies under one, its all been a tad stressful today.......

so, more the same tomorrow, until I slog through all this dam paperwork.......

hugs,......

x

sugarlens said...

You know, that is one of the best new year resolutions I have ever heard. Good luck!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Sorry your resolution backfired and Then Some!! Thanks for sharing this link and this just reinforces that resolutions are only for things like and videography and electronics!
My sister lives near Philly, beautiful part of the country.
Thanks for sharing, I.G.