Friday, October 3, 2008

Bumblebee - Christmas Tree

With the Personal Torturer's (PT) kind permission, I was allowed to walk a little bit (1 to 2 miles) yesterday so the Virtual Walker is back! Just between you and me, I think he got himself locked into a parked car and it took him this long to figure out how to get himself out. Anyway, once he calls in and tells me where he is, I'll start writing more about ye ol' merry (umm) UK.

Since I couldn't walk all that far, my thoughts didn't have time to percolate and turn anything ordinary into a life changing epiphany (I mean my life, not yours). Lucky you.

And I was a little preoccupied with the thought "Well, how does one explain a mapped server hard drive"? I won't go into any detailed explanation of that but in breaking the puzzler down in my head while walking, I thought, "Well, at some point you would mention a network cable" - being that the subject at hand revolves around a Local Area Network (LAN in geek-speak) or "the computer network". The computer network I was thinking about is not the "Internet" but rather a network of computers connected together in an office or business place and more recently, at home.

Anyway, before I babble off-tangent, the network cable is the cable going from your home computer to perhaps a cable-modem, DSL-modem, or a router/switch/hub device (e.g., the common blue linksys boxes or similar). This cable reminds me of a telephone cord on steroids. Now, an ordinary telephone cable is a pretty marvelous thing - even as the world goes wireless.

a phone cable cut apart to show green yellow red and black wires

Before I go on - I realize what I'm discussing right now has nothing to do with mapped server hard drives - but... if I had had permission to walk further, I might of been able to get to that. :)

I'm sure most of you have never seen (or would prefer not to ever see) a phone cord with bare wires - I mean, the plastic do-hickey on the end is so much nicer. Well, back in the day of the woolly mammoths and the loincloth-wearing club-bearing grunting men, telephones were wired directly to the wire without using the plastic do-hickey. Gasp! They used screwdrivers and other icky things.

phone wire receptical wiring

Being that primitive phone wires were installed unheated caves and such, the folks that designed the wiring decided, that the individual wires were kind of fragile, so let's stick a couple extra wires in there... in case we break one (or two). So the telephone, which only "requires" two connecting wires, has a cord with four wires in it! And the plastic do-hickey, if you look at many of them, only has two gold leads (the center most two). The "extra" wires were eventually used by phones that could deal with a "second phone line" and those phones will only work with a plastic do-hickey that has all four wires run out to the gold leads, a pair for each phone line.

phone cord dohickey

So - how is a poor soul to know what wire goes were? I'll tell you how. Back in the those woolly mammoth days of yore that I spoke of earlier, I went to an engineering school - and was told righty-tighty and bumblebee-Christmas tree were words of immense wisdom that every engineer should know - my learning those words, along with the a few 'laws', such as 'Sh*t flows downhill' and 'You can't push anything using a rope' made me one of the elite technocrats at the time.

Righty-tighty is what you use when using a screwdriver, wrench, or just replacing a lightbulb. Turning the object or tool to the right (clockwise) makes the thingy tighter. To get it out, you turn the otherway. Voila! My life became so much easier the day I learned that.

Bumblebee-Christmas tree is how the phone wires are paired. Yellow and Black make a pair, and Red and Green make the other. And if you are normal, you want Christmas tree before you want a bumblebee, so the first phone line uses the red-green pairing. When I learned this gem, after months of difficult college life - you know, with the partying, beer drinking, dances, and the late night Sorority house visits to obtain panties, there wasn't much time for book-learning.

And now for the truly mind-blowing stuff - a network cable is just like a phone cable except it has eight (8) wires in it and they are blue, green, orange, and brown. Wait you say, that is only 4 colors. Yep, the other four wires are the same colors but have a white stripe on them. And what do you know, they don't use all eight wires - they only use four...and they usually go into the plastic do-hickey this way:

network cable wire showing all the colors

Billy Joel sings it best, "Don't ask me why..." I have to go back to graduate school and get a pHD or something - in order to learn how I'm supposed to remember this wiring arrangement.

9 comments:

Ausgrl said...

ummm Yes Iggy dear :-)

Karla said...

well that explains it..I think...
Hey I got an oldddd phone got the wires still hanging where it was cut off the wall...maybe I should take a picture of it and post it!

Deanna said...

Oh how I wish I had understood Bumblebee - Christmas Tree years ago. That information would have saved me many hours of frustration in one of my former jobs.
I used to chat with a gentleman with the name of RightieTightie. He was a maintenance person. I didn't understand his nic until he explained it to me lol. Wonder whatever happened to him....

LadyStyx said...

very interesting...

ChicagoLady said...

Oh Iggy, you just made me laugh with that post!

I'd heard of righty tighty, but have you heard of lefty loosey? Obviously, they are opposites.

Thank you for clearing up the wiring color thing stuff with the Bumblebee - Christmas Tree example. I always wondered how you were supposed to remember what wires go together or where. Guess that's why I'm not an electrician, lol.

Maybe one of these days you'll walk long enough to be able to actually explain a mapped server hard drive.

Glad to hear you're walking again. Hugs!

AliceKay said...

Yes it is good to hear you're out walking again. Just be careful, listen to your doctor and "personal torturer" and you should make out okay. *hugs*

I learned the "righty tighty, lefty-loosey" lesson years ago...comes in quite handy.

MarmiteToasty said...

I know how to wire a plug for the kettle LOL

x

Anonymous said...

I learned hot to wire a plug when I was in girl guides. And I knew what you were talking about with the LAN, because my Dad went to a class to learn how to build computers and wire them to networks and such and he keeps telling me stuff and some of it actually sticks. LOL!

Anonymous said...

*hot = how