The Delaware and Raritan Canal runs between Bull Island to New Brunswick, New Jersey by way of the state capital of Trenton. These two autumn pictures were taken today while I took a short walk around Titusville, the town opposite of Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania - the site where George Washington crossed the Delaware River on Christmas Eve, 1776. Remember you can click on the image to enlarge them.

A Maple tree in full color next to a white bridge over the canal.

A row of trees reflected on the waters of the canal. I thought LadyStyx might want to try this one as a puzzle!
11 comments:
Beautiful pictures! I'd love to do both of them as puzzles.
Oh how gorgeous! Im with Chicago, puzzle-worthy for sure.
Both pictures are amazing. As you know I love scenery pics and wildflowers. The second one makes me want to slip into the water and take a peaceful swim along the canal's edge. I wonder if it is allowed or if it is possible to. Some of our lakes look inviting but are way too polluted.
Really nice pics. I took a ride around the mountains the other day after work and took some more pics of the fall foliage. I took a pic of a beautiful red leaved tree at the old school past the feed mill yesterday before leaving, but I didn't have a good angle on it. I was thinking of driving over there after my stream this morning to get a better shot.
wow, what gorgeous photos, you must have a good camera.... oh my and the colours....stunning...
It makes me wanna walk along there....
x
Lovely and definitely puzzle worthy!
Do you think if you flipped the pictures with the reflected line of trees over 180 degrees, you'd be able to tell?
Beautiful pictures, Iggy. They look like paintings!
Thank you for sharing them.
How do people know exactly where Washington crossed the river all those years ago?
Tori - they know where George Washington crossed the river because it was the site of McConkey’s Ferry. McKonkey's Ferry was so named for Samuel McKonkey, who owned and operated the ferry over the Delaware River from 1774 to 1777. Washington supposedly slept at McKonkey's Ferry Inn - a beautiful stone building.
AusGrl - You can swim there, the canal is pretty deep in spots (5-7 feet) and the water is clean (it is a source of drinking water downstream). The spot in the picture would be a nice place to take a dip - its well away from any crowds.
Post a Comment