Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Going to the Dogs!

Firstly - since some of you asked - the shoulder seems to be healing well - I'm still doing PT three times a week. The doctor expects that I will be able to "fire" Hoke (of Driving Miss Daisy fame) and start driving on my own by the end of the week.

A couple days ago, I was able to raise my hand over my head without pain for the first time in months. That was a thrilling moment, to me anyway. I am now allowed to walk three to four miles so I am slowly getting back into stride.

:)

a picture of fred - hank the basset hound showing a chain link fence and the well worn path along side where the dog runs back and forth

Recently while walking, I encountered a Basset Hound I call Fred even though I know his real name is Hank. I was warmly welcomed by a ton of barking and much running back and forth along the fence. I tossed him my peanut butter covered cracker, mostly to get some quiet. I've not seen Fred (or Hank) in a while and wondered, briefly, where he had been hiding.

Since I was at the end of my walk and nearly home, that thought didn't have time to...percolate and progress very far along a mental path before I had to turn my attention to other things, like battling with the contraption on my shoulder and the sling to get it off so I could shower.

While showering, I thought to myself, "I wonder if I can retrace my steps and mentally list the dogs in the neighborhood that I pass while walking?" and so the restless mind proceeded to do so. I exited the shower mentally exhausted!

I thought it would be a neat entry to include a photograph of each dog but when I got done the list I decided that project would take forever since I see:

Exiting my house and turning to the left -

1) "Winston" the English Bulldog
2) "Daisy" the tan Mastiff
3) A black long haired Collie dog I can't remember the name of...
4) "Meatball", a brindle colored mutt
5) "Hambone", a grey mutt that must be about a gazillion years old
X) A dark grey long haired cat that gets walked on a leash but it's a cat!

- That is just three houses and I'm finally off my street! -

6) A white dust mop I've never met the owners of...
7) A huge Rottweiler named "Adam"
8) Adam's figurative brother - a little Poodle mix of some sort - name unknown
9) "Abby" the Black Labrador
10) A brown, black and white collie of some sort actually named "Smore"

- The end of the block, turning left -

11) A really adorable little Shetland Collie that barks and does back flips, but shies away when I approach him or her

- Now out of my neighborhood -

12) A big Black Labrador that has really good lungs
13-14) The two big dogs in the second floor window that I took a picture of before
15) A big Yellow Labrador puppy whose feet and legs are way too big for him
16) The Yellow Lab's figurative older sibling, a white-ish Pomeranian that always greets me from behind the front door
17-18) A matched couple of Pugs that I call "Wart" and "Moldy" but don't remember why

- Heading back to my neighborhood -

19) A Lassie-like dog that is really old and stiff
20) A mostly back Border Collie named "Ollie"
21-22) "Hermann" the German Shepard and his figurative little (in size) brother "Peewee" which I've talked about before.
23) A white dust mop-like dog I call "Dusty"
24) A middle aged Black Labrador that I don't really like because he is always smelly
24-25-26) A house with three dogs, 2 Yellow Labradors and a Rottweiler

- On the homestretch now -

27) A boy Beagle that really bays when I walk by
28-29) A twin set of Rhodesian Ridgebacks who are actual brother "Easy" and sister "Harly"
30) An Elkhound named "Pete"
31) An old mutt that always runs up and licks my hand - I just call him "Ol' Tongue"
32) A Spaniel of some sort... its not a Cocker, but what it is, I don't know
33-34) A Chihuahua I call "Squirt" (real name "Squire") and his figurative brother a small Welsh Corgi that I call "Yaps" who's real name is "Tiny"
35) An old black mutt that's part Black Lab named "Perky"
36) Another Shetland Collie who I think they call "Roland"
37) A Boston Terrier
38) ...and finally Freddy the Basset Hound whose real name is "Hank" and who's picture is above.

This list is the result of a short one-mile walk out and about the neighborhood and probably omits a half dozen or more dogs I can hear barking but never can seem to locate or see. Next time I'll try to remember to count how many houses are involved here - I'm sure its not more than three or four dozen.

9 comments:

Ausgrl said...

You could always stir things up and throw a cat or two (Not on a leash)amongst them. LOL

LadyStyx said...

You sure that is a neighborhood and not a kennel? Dang that's alotta pooch all in one area!

ChicagoLady said...

Your neighborhood really HAS gone to the dogs. I think you need a couple, just to even things out.

MarmiteToasty said...

Bitchslapping ausgrl for the cat remark... :)

I bet your village is full of dog poo....... dog poo is my main hate LOL oh and yapping dogs.....

We would LOVE a dog, but I cant do dog poo LOL..... Im serious....Ive been known to lob away me lads shoes when they was little if they had trod in something....

chicken poo, cat poo, baby poo.... no problem lmfao

x

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

just put them together & make compost...it's great 2b green...lol! hope to hear fm you dude...u funny!

AliceKay said...

That's a lot of dogs!

Anonymous said...

Just a couple of dogs then? LOL!

The Spaniel would have to be either a King Charles, A Cocker or a Springer. You should be able to tell by the size. A King Charles is very small and almost never gets bigger than about 10 inches (if that) to the shoulder. Plus it has a very short nse. A Cocker has a longer nose than a King Charles and can get up to 14 inches. And a Springer is usually at least 15 inches to the shoulder, but otherwise is exactly the same in appearance to a Cocker. At one point Cockers and Springer were one in the same, but somewhere along the line they were split in to "Springer" and "Cocker" depending on sizing. Kind of like how the only difference between a Westie, a Cairne Terrier and a Scotty dog is the colour and the shape of the head (Westie's are only white and have a more rounded face, Cairne's are varying shades of brown and haven't got quite as round a face as a Westie, Scotty dogs are generally black and have a more square looking face).

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am so glad that you are healing so well! Keep up the good work!

Secondly, sounds to me like you live in a grand place. There are times that I prefer dogs (and other creatures) over people. :)

Thank you for sharing your world Iggy..I find it a pleasant place to visit!

Lainie said...

Kinda sounds like the movie 101 Dalmations. They all communicate with each other ya know and all the dogs on your walk are announcing your arrival!