A year or two out of college, about thirty years ago now, I was driving down a gravel road late one very dark night; it was either moonless or overcast and my old car's headlights barely penetrated the darkness of the remote area of strip-mined southern Indiana. The road was a mere car and half wide and the gravel surface covered with coal dust - I had been driving for hours.
While memory doesn't serve to tell me where I was going, I do remember needing to use the "little boy's room" - There was only one light to be seen as far as I could see in any direction about half a mile away on the porch of a farmhouse. I had seen no cars for hours on end, so I figured I'd just pull over a little and just stop there in the middle of the road. I opened the door and stepped out into the darkest night I think I've ever seen - and down, down I went as if I had stepped into an elevator shaft. I barely had the presence of mind to grab the chrome-plated threshold of the bottom of the car door and dangled there - I could feel nothing below my feet.

As it turned out, I had stopped just short of an intersection along side a ditch that was about 8 or 9 feet deep. The tires on the driver's side of the car were half-on and half-off the crumbly edge of the loose gravel road. While I hung there hoping my night vision would show me something, anything at all; I heard the front tire slowly crunching and sliding and finally it slipped off the edge of the road - leaving the wheel hanging suspended over the ditch and the frame of the car resting on the road.

I will never forget what little I could see in the dim light of the round overhead interior dome light - the car door opened, the driver seat above my head, the gleam from the worn spots on the steering wheel, and my hand holding on to the bottom of the door frame. No camera or film needed. I eventually collected my wits, and hand over hand, pulled myself back into the car where I found the car was completely stuck. I climbed on through the car, went out the other side, and walked toward the dim porch light making very, very sure my foot hit something solid before I went onwards.
At long last I got to the front door of the farm and knocked, a plaid-shirted farmer opened the door and after I told him my tale of woe, he simply said, "Come 'round back." I guess I was a bit soiled or perhaps had even soiled my... umm... well, anyway, I got around back and the farmer had fired up his tractor and told me to get on. We rode back to the car where he chained up the back bumper to the tractor and pulled the car back onto the road. I offered him all the what little money I had and he refused, saying, "Just bein' neighborly, 'spect you'd do the same fer me if need be."
So when Alice Kay posted that song titled "That's A Man" by Jack Ingram - that's why I said what I did, about respecting farmers - like this one farmer that quietly lived in the middle of nowhere - but worthy of respect.

10 comments:
What a story. I bet you're careful where you step these days, aren't you?
That's what people do in rural areas....they help out with no need for repayment a lot of the time. It's neighbor helping neighbor.
What a story - and what mental images! And talk about the wrong place to stop... what's the chances out of all those miles of road way that you would stop at that unfortunate spot. I'm just glad you had the strength to pull yourself up.
You're right AK - that is what farmers do. They wouldn't think of saying no - it just isn't in their nature.
Crikey, I thought for a moment you was gonna shout for Lassie lol.... now scary....
Twice when my Tom started to drive I got a ring from the police to say he had ditched his car on the sharp bends around the lanes hear here, and twice he was able to walk away (once in hospital) with mere scratches and bruises.... once we managed to get the tow lorry out to lift his car out which was covered on his insurance...... but I remember the last time I got to the ditch at Furzley Corner and the police said you have 10 minutes to get the corner clear of car or WE will bring in our tow van and it will cost you $300..... so I drove around the corner to Gem and Sash's farm and hammered on the door at 1.30 in the morning lol a sleepy head poked out of the window and Gem came with his tractor and dragged the car out of the ditch and to the farm....
FILL IN THE DITCHES lol
hugzzzzz and cold hands equate to a warm heart.....
x
I wonder how many times that farmer had to do that over the years. I am a big supporter of street lights.
Say NO to street lights lol I would die if they put street lights down our lane....
x
Wow, what a story! It's always nice to know there are still people around to help someone if they need it. I'm sure glad you grabbed hold of the door and didn't fall all the way down in that ditch, you might never have gotten out.
I remember one winter, a friend and I were stopping for gas, and between the gas station and the road was a ditch. In the ditch was a car (it must have slid in because of the snow). My friend and I tried as hard as we could to help this person get their car out of the ditch, but it just wouldn't budge. We finally had to admit defeat and leave him to calling a tow truck.
Ditches are very dangerous...but one lane bridges.......*makes note to post about one lane bridges*
oh lord...that reminds me of one night bout 25 years ago my step sister and a cousin and i were driving around drunk in the country..that's what you do in a little town when the bars close. and she had to pee..we pulled over and she opened the door and stepped out and she just disappeared..out of sight...he yelp kept getting farhter away.. we backed the car around and used the head lights to search for her and she was in a 'ditch' about 10 feet straight down.. she only fell about 3 feet and then rolled the rest of the way..lucky she wasn't hurt because we were so drunk and laughing at her so hard, we would have been hard pressed to have been any help.. after that we called her whoosh..as that's what she said as she fell...snort*
Holy Mackerel, Iggy! I would have freaked!
I think there are more nice people than rotten people in the world. We just don't hear about the nice ones as often.
One lane bridges *shudders*
Good thing you got outta that scrape alright, iggy. It's nice that country folks will "just pitch in" in a time of need. My own hubby's alot like that. Good breeding, I suppose.
Post a Comment