Monday, September 1, 2008

Witness Protection Program

Recently, I have been stalked by a guy who seemed hell-bent on taking my picture, I've been calling him Major Chuck. He isn't the only one - there are two others, Bushytail and Nutkins. They are members of the Squirrel Paparazzi. I ran over one of them's foot - I don't know which one - they all look the same to me - when trying to drive to work today. This seems to have caused some trouble.

Squirrel wearing army hat and wearing binoculars

Major Chuck. I think he is like Colonel Sanders - that is, he isn't really a Major, but he likes to wear the silly hat. It fits him pretty well, I guess most other kinds of hats wouldn't sit right. He's been following me around constantly for days and days. He's even left acorn shells at my front door. So, like I said, I ran over some one's foot trying to back out of the driveway in order to go to work.

I get home from a long day's work, and this suit knocks on my door - saying he represents the photographer whom's foot I mashed. He tries shaking me down for special privileges saying, "I a-gotta an offer you a-cannot-a refuse. You give ol' Bushytail an a-exclusive pichure, an he will be a-dropping the charges. Otherwise, I'm gonna be a-taking you to the cleaners. I a-will come back a tomorrow to hear what you got to say, you capice?"

Squirrel in a suit

This guy was really puttin' a turn to the screws. So I called my lawyer and I told him what had gone down. My lawyer got me entered into a witness protection program. I got to testify against the suit when and if they ever catch him. So, I'm not Iggy anymore - you are supposed to call me Rocky. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something just not right about that name.

I got three security guys watching over me now. I don't feel real good about them - they seem to always be goofing off or playing with these strange light sabers saying weird things like "May the force be with you."

jedi squirrels practicing with light sabers

They forgot to bring any food with them, so I got hungry. I called them over and banged their heads together. I'll probably never be able to go home now, but:

Squirrel Stew

Ingredients:
1 squirrel, quartered
1 cup diced onion
2 large tomatoes (from your garden) or 1 can of tomatoes
Assorted fresh, or canned veggies

Preparation:

Sprinkle seasoned salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional) liberally on the meat. Pour some cooking oil into a large pot (dutch oven). Sauté the meat with the onions until well browned. Drain the excess oil, add about 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cut up the tomatoes and add. If you use canned tomatoes add them now. Turn down the heat, and let slow cook for at least an hour.

Important: older squirrels may require cooking longer than an hour. Check periodically for tenderness. If you don't you will have a hard time chewing the meat.

After the meat is tender, add the veggies, carrots, potatoes, banana pepper, what ever you like. Cook until the veggies are done. An option you can use is, cook up your favorite pasta and serve over the pasta.

17 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

i think they would make a good chili...i found one on my porch today getting in my sack of bird feed...i sic'd annie on it..she don't cotton to squirrel's..

MarmiteToasty said...

Trampie out village winter tramp, who actually didnt show last winter and i was concerned about, cos who else would I sit on the village green with and share a sarnie and a cuppa coffee bought from the bakery, and listen to his tales of trampdom.....

One year he told me he had eaten squirrel, when I asked him what it tasted like, he said..... cat...... LOL....... I just so couldnt bring meself to ask him how he knew what cat tasted like....

I hope trampie comes back this winter, and if not, then I hope that he is well and safe somewhere else..

x

AliceKay said...

I was wondering what your post would be today, following punkn's from Saturday. LOL

Deanna said...

ROFLMAO!
Does this mean Bushytail isn't going to get that a-exclusive pichure?

Karla said...

LOL Iggy..I love your stories!
(but hey squirrel is good...won't tell you that my favorite part is the tongue and brain cause I don't wanna gross anyone out)

Deanna said...

Yuck Karla!
LOL I just read the title again and read "Witless Protection Program". *shakes the cobwebs out of my head*

LadyStyx said...

*hands "Rocky" the meat tenderizer to use on the older squirrels and heads off to cook up the linguini*

oooh...maybe some-a nice-a Romano to sprinkle over the top-a?

AliceKay said...

And here I sit trying to eat my lunch. LOL

Jess said...

This was really funny - it could almost have been true!

Anonymous said...

I hope you wont be offended when I don't add that recipe to my recipe page. LOL!

When you guys say "a suit knocked at my door" I always get an image of this nicely pressed suit strolling up to a door and knocking on it with the sleeve of it's shirt. The human/squirel (or whatever else) that's meant to be inside it doesn't enter in to the image. LOL!

Intense Guy said...

Poor trampie. I hope he is okay. I think he probably meant that squirrel tasted like chicken, but was being considerate of Janet's feelings. :)

No pictures for Bushytail - unless there is some quid pro quo. LOL

Is that linguini ready yet? :)

And Tori - no, I won't be offended if you don't add this to your recipe page - I mean, what are the odds of anyone catching a squirrel for the pot anyway? :) LOL - you will have to brush up on your American gangster / mafia vocabulary - Although you never know, a fresh pressed suit in a garment bag fresh from the dry cleaners could always show up at the door. I'll try to describe the pictures a little better next time!

Intense Guy said...

Hello Jess. Welcome to my "mental noise." Some of it is "real" and some of it is just the product of someone that gets high, just breathing fresh air. :)

LadyStyx said...

'tis ready if ya like-a it el dente. Those that want it a bit more done will have to wait a few more minutes til the second pot finishes...

Anonymous said...

I love the squirrel photos!! Reminds me a little of "The Wind in the Willow" characters..only with a Soprano's spin. hee, hee

I read your comment describing yourself:
"someone that gets high, just breathing fresh air."

That's why I like coming here! :)

~gypsy-heart

Deanna said...

LOL styxie
Island - iggy is the king of words.

ChicagoLady said...

I don't think I can add anything to this. I laughed so hard! And of course I read punkn's blog first, so the Major Chuck comment didn't make sense until I came here. I bow down to Iggy, I mean Rocky, and Punkn, you both are terrific storytellers.

Deanna said...

LOL I bow to KingIggy.. I am so out of my league that I quake at the thought of a rebuttal! I think bushy will fall under the wheels of a car tomorrow. lol