Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stupid Questions

This morning I stretched my blog reading legs and went further afield than usual - and read some of Marz entries, who had commented on LadyStyx's blog. She is a young woman that aspires to write - and while working on her dream, she is a tour guide. Her blog is worth a read - After all, anyone that enjoys Kurt Vonnegut's writing can't be all bad. You will, however, find life as a tour guide is not as charming or as glamorous as you might have been led to believe.

One of her entries, "Stupid Questions" struck a cord with me. And I wrote a comment - but my mind, once started on the topic, didn't want to leave it. :)

---

I walk a lot, and on the main street in town, so I often get folks driving by asking me where this or that is - I think I have a sign that's invisible to me over my head that says, "Serious map dude here" or something.

Most of the time - from the questions they ask, I end up wondering how they found the bathroom that morning and figured out how to get dressed, let alone do something as complex as drive a car.

For instance, a few days ago, an older (well, I'm being generous here) lady stopped in the middle of the road (it is Main Street) and had about 30 cars, all honking away, behind her. She rolls down the passenger window after a bit of a struggle, and asks me, "Where is the bank?" I could barely hear her over the din. I yelled "WHAT BANK LADY?" and she names one - dumbfounded, I turn and point a half block down the street and say in a loud voice, "See that green bank sign? that's the bank you want." So what does she say? "You don't have to yell at me sonny!" and drives off, putting on her glasses.

At just about the same spot - a few weeks ago, a guy driving a four-door sedan pulls over and the window comes downs. I hear him say, "Hey! YOU! Where the F*** is the G** D*** coin store?!" I must of looked a little confused, because he continued with, "You know! The F**king store that has the old coins - I collect the d*** things for a hobby!" The light came on in my head - he wanted the "Coin and Hobby Store" and had just driven past it, perhaps while looking at me.

So, not feeling like an Eagle Scout that day, I replied, "Oh! I know the place!! Just keep on going," pointing down the road, "It's about 3 more miles on your right." As he drove off, I quickly disappeared knowing I had sent him into a road construction nightmare. Only later did I actually trouble myself to see where I had sent him via Google Maps. Ah, the town cemetery - good move, Intense one... Shrugs, well, there was no call for the offensive language.

Another time, a guy was in the local 7-11 (a 'convenience' store) at the counter with the guy I call Turnip in my mind but not out loud, since I can't remember his name, with a map out demanding poor ol' Turnip to tell him where the bowling alley was. Now Turnip speaks perhaps 40 words of English and has trouble making proper change even though the register tells him the amount (so you have to count it each time) just looked totally flummoxed. Taking pity on poor Turnip, I say to him, "You know, this is the perfect time for someone to buy a map." The lost guy turns so quickly he knocks stuff off the counter and glares at me, and says, "If you don't know where the bowling alley is, keep your mouth shut!"

Taken a little aback by that display of 'good manners', I calmly say, "But I do know where the bowling alley is," while going to get whatever I had gone in to the store to get. When I return to the counter, the guy is livid and shaking in rage. He barely spits out between clenched teeth, "Where is IT!?!?" To which I replied, "It was at 606 East Main Street until it burned down about 3 months ago," and walk out.

Finally, while walking in Valley Forge National Historical Park, on the Schuylkill River Trail, last week, just as darkness was closing in, a breathless guy on his bike comes to a skidding halt next to me and he asks, "Which way is it to Philadelphia?" I point direction in which he had come and say, "Philadelphia is about 25 miles back that way." The guy looks over his shoulder and back down the trail in the growing gloom and murk, and says, "Do you think I can make it before dark?" I don't know how far I rolled my eyes or how hard I bit my tongue to keep the next thought I had from getting spoken.

12 comments:

AliceKay said...

What were you thinking, Iggy? LOL

I have customers asking me some strange questions once in awhile. Stacks right up there with yours. (why they have animals they don't know how to feed or care for is beyond me)

Jess said...

Hehe, I don't know whether to be severely amused, or a little horrified with these experiences!

Deanna said...

LMAO remind me to leave my foul language at home (actually I don't really cuss much) if I ever want directions from you. Sending him 3miles the wrong direction is hilarious! The F word is so crude and insulting. I'm one of those who think of the right thing to do or say 5 minutes after the moment has passed. Interesting post!

Lainie said...

Good one Iggy!! I personally love the way you handled that foul mouthed guy, (even though I have been known to talk like a trucker from time to time.) There is just no excuse for rudeness!

Karla said...

You're so much nicer than me Iggy...I'd of had to tell the guy that if he had to cuss a me, a stranger, he could find it himself..and walk away. *makes mental note to buy Iggy a Tshirt that says "I am NOT a map"*

LadyStyx said...

Better yet:

01) My name's not Rand nor McNalley

02) Do I look like Mapquest or Google Maps to you?

03) Neither profanity nor rudeness will get you the directions you need.

04) Directions $5
Correct directions $10

Ausgrl said...

I love the burned down bowling alley.
Peoplehave a tendency to ask or say stupid things, Cassie is one of them as she walks past me sitting at the computer typing "Hi Mum, are you using the computer?"
or my neighbour as I walk past her house in the early evening "hello Mands going for a walk are you?" or my mother will call me on the landline and so "Hello Amanda are you at home?"

Anonymous said...

Too funny Iggy!

Unfortunately people will insist on asking stupid questions.

More than once I've given sarcastic remarks (not all of them free of curse words) to some of these questions.

The one that springs to mind first when people mention stupid questions is what happened when I went to see the first Harry Potter movie for the 2nd time (I went with my parents first time, with my brother and a couple of his mates the 2nd time).

Anyway...

There was a guy behind me who kept saying to the person behind him, "did you see that? Did you see that?" over, and over again. After about a dozen times I turned around in my seat and said, "No! I just paid £5.20 to come and stare at the ceiling... And I'm sure everyone else did too!" The guy shut up after that, which I'm sure everyone was as greatful for as I was, since he wasn't exactly speaking quietly and more than one person had hissed, "shhhh" to him before I spoke up.

Anonymous said...

Btw, Styxie... I love the t-shirt ideas. Especially the "directions $5, correct directions $10" one. LOL!

ChicagoLady said...

Sounds like Aus has had a few "Here's your sign" moments, lol.

I think you handled yourself perfectly in all those situations Iggy. I don't know if I could have done nearly as well.

MARZ said...

Ha! I am glad to have been worthy of mention!

Yes, people need to be destroyed.

I agree.

:-p I know you didn't say that. But I read it in-between the lines

MarmiteToasty said...

ROTFLMFAO!!!! to funny....

I NEVER tell anyone the correct way, when Ive been asked directions... I ALWAYS give indepth directions to somewhere in the complete opposite direction.... especially more so when they wind the window of their car down and ask 'are you local' to which I reply, no my name is Barry..... it gets them everytime lol

I send a HUGE Jewson lorry with HUGE roof beams down a tiny winding country lane once cos he bibbed me before stopping to asked the way...... dam tosser.... hope he got stuck at Shover bend LMFAO...

I am mean, but I dont care :)

x