Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mile 12 - The Pirates of Penzance

As of September 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Steps: 87,986
Miles: 37.46

Penzance, or "holy headland" in the Cornish language, is a reference to the chapel of St. Anthony that stood over a thousand years ago on the headland to the west of what became Penzance Harbour.

Until recently, this history was also reflected in the choice of symbol for the town, the severed 'holy head' of St. John the Baptist. It can still be seen on the civic regalia of the Mayor of Penzance and on several important landmarks in the town.

map showing the location of penzance and shape of the headlands

A headland is a piece of land that juts into the sea from the main land coast line. Headlands are shaped by erosion. They are formed when the sea attacks a section of coast consisting of alternating bands of hard and soft rock. The bands of soft rock such as sand and clay, erode more quickly than those of more resistant hard rock such as chalk.

a postcoard picture of The Promenade

The Promenade

The completion of the railway through Cornwall from London made it easier for tourists and invalids to enjoy the mild climate of Penzance. Bathing machines were advertised for hire on the beach as early as 1823 and public baths were opened on the Promenade in 1887. The town's first official guide book was published in 1860. The town was "noted for the pleasantness of its situation, the salubrity of its air, and the beauty of its natives".

It wasn't always so pleasant in Penzance - In medieval times and later, the town was subject to frequent raiding by Turkish pirates. The name of one of Penzance's oldest buildings 'The Turk's Head' pub is said to be a reference to these incidents.

postcard picture showing a pirate ship in the penzance harbor with its crew rowing ashore

Being at the far west of England, Penzance and the surrounding villages were also sacked many times by foreign fleets. On July 23rd 1595, several years after the Spanish Armada of 1588, a Spanish force under Don Carlos de Amesquita, which had been patrolling the Channel, landed troops in Cornwall. Amesquita's force seized supplies, raided and burned Penzance and surrounding villages, held a mass, and sailed away before it could be confronted.

a poster for the The Pirates of Penzance, or The Slave of Duty opera by gilbert and sullivan

It is assumed that these pirates and raiders later inspired 'The Pirates of Penzance, or The Slave of Duty', a comic opera in two acts, with music by Arthur Sullivan and libretto by W. S. Gilbert. The opera's official premiere was at the Fifth Avenue Theatre in New York City on December 31, 1879. The London premiere was on April 3, 1880.

This opera remains popular today, taking its place along with The Mikado and H.M.S. Pinafore as one of the most frequently performed Gilbert and Sullivan operas.

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

The only thing I know about the Pirates of Penzance opera is from the movie, Pretty Woman. Edward takes Vivian to the opera and she gets so emotional and overwhelmed, and when an older lady asked her how she liked it, she said something about "almost peeing my pants". LMAO...I loved that scene. Edward told the older lady that she said it was almost as good as the Pirates of Penzance (or something to that effect) LMAO (Sorry, I think I messed up your comment section....and I'm still laughing)

LadyStyx said...

Pirates was one of my favorites to see on stage. One of the theatre groups I belonged to did a very campy version of it one year.

Mikado is another favorite of mine. A version of it was shown on PBS one year. I wish I could remember which group was doing it because the dude who played the Grand Pu-ba was hysterical.

ChicagoLady said...

I remember that scene very well in Pretty Woman.

I've never seen Pirates of Penzance, but I have seen a local version of The Mikado. It was hysterical! It was set in modern day Japan, and I remember laughing a lot.

Anonymous said...

Grat post, Iggy. :)

Deanna said...

Great information.

I'd love to see the Pirates of Penzance Opera. *adds it to my list of must do's*
LOL ak - I remember that scene well. Pretty Woman is one of my all time favorite movies.

MarmiteToasty said...

Cornwall is famous for its pirates but most of all for smugglers :) and many many of the old cornish pubs are named along the line of smuggling....

x