A loudspeaker hailed me, saying "Remain motionless and put your hands up!" and who but Prince Charles pops out of the tank turret (taking much care not to bang in long royal nose on the rim of the hatch combing) to speak to me saying, "I've reassured Ambassador Nutkins that you would be escorted to the place your Virtual Walk begins without allowing for any dilly-dallying nor delay. Nor will you be allowed to mosey about after your walk starts."
And with that I was forced into the helicopter and taken to Land's End, England, where I was unceremoniously dumped.

It being late at night, this is what I saw at Mile Zero. I took a deep breath, gathered up my courage, find my bearings, and take my first step... and so the walk begins!
Land's End (Cornish name: 'Penn an Wlas') is a headland on the Penwith peninsula, located near Penzance in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom.
The Cornish language is one of the 'indigenous Briton' Celtic languages. The language continued to function as a community language in parts of Cornwall until the late 18th century. Today there are perhaps a couple thousand people that speak the language.
Cornish exists in place names, and a knowledge of the language helps the understanding of old place names. Many Cornish names are adopted for children, pets, houses and boats. There is now an increasing amount of Cornish literature, in which poetry is the most important genre, particularly in oral form or as song or as traditional Cornish chants historically performed in marketplaces during religious holidays, public festivals and gatherings, and executions.

Visible from Land's End is the Longships Lighthouse. The Longships, a few miles off-shore, is a serpentine and quartz island.

8 comments:
I love the picture of the lighthouse. :)
Interesting! Pretty lighthouse! Looks lonely out there all by itself. I'm sure it saved many a sailor in day's of old!
Fare ye well on your long journey!
LOL Ambassador Nutkins. Loved the night shot. You really have a talent for picture taking.
Did you start this walk with a new pair of walking shoes????
I went there when I was about 11 (possibly closer to 12). It's a great place to visit. And they have (or, at least, "had") this really cool submarine "ride" type thing where a sea monster "attacked" the submarine and crashed through the front of it. It was really cool.
Very nice start, especially the first picture of the dark. Scary looking place, Cornwall when it's dark, lol.
No pictures of the Prince in his tank?
And you were near Penzance, did you see any pirates?
*laffz and moves along to the next entry*
I LOVE Cornwall with a passion..... and if I do not get me dream of moving to the States then I will most probably end me days living in a cottage somewhere in Cornwall, preferably North Cornwall....
Only yesterday I found in me huge box of photos a pic of me standing next ot the sign that says 'Lands End'.. I think its what every tourist MUST DO lol......
Now dont you go falling off the end of lands end, its a bloody long swim home for ya..
x
Post a Comment