Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Island of Sodor

As of September 14, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 132,604
Miles: 56.34

a map of the Island of Sodor
The Island of Sodor is an island located between Great Britain and the Isle of Man.

About half of the Island of Sodor is cultivated. Oats, barley and turnips are major crops. Fishing is important too - the Tidmouth kipper is a prized dish at breakfasts both far and wide. Lead, zinc and silver is mined, and the island stone has excellent weather-resisting properties. The rugged and beautiful scenery, and the fishing, particularly in the mountain lakes, attract holidaymakers from all parts. Bauxite is mined at Peel Godred by the British Aluminium Company. As this process requires a huge amount of electricity, a hydroelectric power station was opened nearby in 1923. Tidmouth now contributes to the country's revenues by being an excellent port, owned by the North Western Railway.

a picture of Sir Topham Hatt
Sir Topham Hatt was, as plain Mr. Topham Hatt, the engineer in charge of the construction of the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Light Railway. When the job was finished he was made a director of Company, and after the Wellsworth and Suddery Railway was linked with the original line at Knapford, was elected a Director of that Company, too. He was created a baronet for his services to the the railways of Sodor in 1948. He married Jane, sister of Mr (later Sir) Handel Brown, and retired in 1954.

By now, hopefully, you recognize this story as the one created by the Reverend W. Awdry, OBE, (15 June 1911 – 21 March 1997), who was a clergyman, railway enthusiast and reknown children's author.

a picture of Thomas the Tank Engine
He is best known as the author of The Railway Series of books in which the character Thomas the Tank Engine originated which he wrote in 1943 to amuse his son Christopher during a bout of measles.

12 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

ahh, george carlin's old gig...
hell after ike and tina hit texas, i was fixing to move to the island of sodor..sounded a lot better than here..

AliceKay said...

I never knew this story, but I enjoyed reading it. My kids weren't into Thomas The Tank Engine, and apparently, I wasn't either.

Love the banner across the top of your blog. It's so true.

Ausgrl said...

You have just added another reader for your blog.. Esch LOVES Thomas lol

LadyStyx said...

I knew the name of the island looked familiar! For some reason, when I read the title my mind flashed to a train table sold at Toys R Us. It was an expensive bugger too. The table was $149 at the time and the Sodor mat sold separately at around $99. I always sold the less expensive TRU brand one ($99...set COMPLETE)to those just starting out as the mat fit that table anyhow. Told them if the child really got into it, THEN spring for The Mat. Besides, at the time, the TRU brand one had drawers for the pieces where the Thomas Table didnt. ;) What was good about the trains was the warranty on them...if they got knicked and damaged, you sent them in for new paint and repairs. Top things all off the Thomas trains worked on the TRU tracks as well. Made sense to buy the Thomas trains (something the child WILL notice) and save money on the wooden track items..

MarmiteToasty said...

Did you know that Ringo Starr of Beatles fame is the voice on Thomas the Tank Engine Programmes...

I love the Thomas the Tank Engine Stories, maybe cos I have a son called Thomas lol...... it was not until a few years after he was born (now 23) that the name became COMMON lol..... not many Toms or Thomas's around here of his age...

Good job I didnt call him the Fat Controller :)

AliceKay said...

I didn't know that about Ringo Starr either. (he was my favorite Beatle)

Anonymous said...

*Sings, "Thomas The Tank Engine's friends... They are all trains, they have a fat controller!" then moves on to the next blog*

Anonymous said...

Before I wander off.... I knew that about Ringo. But only 'cause my brother told me a couple of years back. I never realised before that. LOL!

Deanna said...

Great story all the way around. I had no idea that Ringo was the voice on Thomas the train program. Interesting about Thomas not being a popular name in UK. My brother's name is Thomas (he is 59) and I had three Thomas' in my class. And of course there was my second favorite uncle, Uncle Tom (first favorite Uncle was Uncly Cyril - try that name on for size). But names cycle like fashions. I can't think of a single Thomas among the friends of my kids as they were growing up.

Ausgrl said...

Closest I can get to Thomas is when Cassie was in grade 1 and there were twin boys uin class with her.. The boys parents were very imaginative and named each one uniquely Tim and of course Timothy.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm not a Thomas the Tank Engine fan, so I did not recognize the story. It was very interesting reading about the island, though.

Intense Guy said...

Hi Yellowdog Granny, yes, by all accounts, the Island of Sodor would be a nice place to live. Hope you survived Ike -

Alice Kay - thank you. :)

Welcome abord Esch!

LadyStyx - I bought a bunch of TRU track for my nephews when they were little, it was nice stuff - I wonder if they still have their Thomas.

Hugs Marmite hello - Ringo Starr did Thomas' voice? Wow. I didn't know that - nor did I know George Carlin did it either. And yes, I'm very sure your son Thomas is very glad you didn't name him the Fat Controller! LOL - until I researched this blog entry - I didn't know that Sir T. was known as that - I thing the American version excludes that little gem. Rats!!

Punkn, Uncly Cyril? You'll must of had sprained tongues trying to say that.

LOL @ AusGrl - those parents were nuts to name twins Tim and Timothy.. good grief!

Tis alright Chicago - I think you might enjoy the next entry more :)