Steps: 1,313,090
Miles: 558.98

Margaret Mitchell - (1900-1949)
Margaret "Peggy" Mitchell was born on November 8, 1900 in Atlanta, Georgia. Her father was a historian and lawyer, and her mother was a suffragist. When she was 15, she wrote, "If I were a boy, I would try for West Point, if I could make it, or well I'd be a prize fighter - anything for the thrills."

Margaret Mitchell's greatest contribution to literature was her "Gone With the Wind," which she began writing in 1926 and published in 1936. At the time of its publication, the book sold more copies than any other American novel in literary history. The story centers around the life and times of Scarlett O'Hara, a Southern woman. Mitchell was awarded the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.
The novel has such gems has:
"Death and taxes and childbirth! There's never any convenient time for any of them."
"The south produced statesmen and soldiers, planters and doctors and lawyers and poets, but certainly no engineers and mechanics. Let Yankees adopt such low callings."
Source
The novel was made into a very long movie. The man who directed "Gone with the Wind", Victor Fleming, is also credited with the other immortal classic released in 1939: The Wizard of Oz.

Being a Yankee Engineer, I suppose I should take offense, But as Clark Gable so aptly put it, Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

4 comments:
To this day I've *yet* to see that movie....
I've never seen the whole movie (that I can remember anyway) but I bought my mother the special collectors edition on VHS quite a few years ago for Christmas.
I've only seen about half of it. At 3 hours 40 some minutes, it is a very long movie!
I keep meaning to read "Gone With The Wind" but for some reason never seem to get around to it.
Post a Comment