
Valley Forge National Historical Park
February 9, 2008
A gloomy morning on the Schuykill River Bike Path.
Established in 1893, Valley Forge was Pennsylvania’s first state park. In 1893 the independent Valley Forge Park Commission was created by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania "to preserve, improve, and maintain as a public park the site on which General George Washington's army encamped at Valley Forge."
In 1976, the bicentennial year, Pennsylvania gave the park as a gift to the nation. On the 4th of July, 1976, the park was transferred to the National Park System as Valley Forge National Historical Park.
Any maintenance on this building probably ceased about that time. It was a picnic pavillion and had a fireplace. Next to it were 3 or 4 outdoor cooking pits. After making doubly sure that there were no Orange Coneheads in view, I took this picture - its not a huge landmark, but ... I thought the sight was sort of ghostly and fit in well with the gloom and my mood at the time. I have a feeling the building won't be with us much longer.

2 comments:
I asked Terri if his trip to Valley Forge was still on and he says yes...they leave Friday morning at 6 AM. I haven't asked for any other info and he hasn't given me any. *shrugs*
Here's a *HUGZ* to help try and cheer you up. That's a wonderful picture. Have you considered taking photos for a living?
Post a Comment