Friday, February 15, 2008

Really Old World - Rambo and Regar


Rambo and Regar - Globe Knitting Mill - Front


Rambo and Regar - Globe Knitting Mill - Back

The Schuyllkill River Bike Path passes this behind this impressive looking building between the Norristown train station and the Pennsylvania Turnpike bridge.

The listing from the National Register of Historic Places says this:

Also known as Rambo & Regar Globe Knitting Mills
660 and 694 E. Main St., Norristown
Architectural Style: Italianate
Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1974


Close up

The Rambo and Regar Knitting Mill was founded in the mid-1880s when Joseph Rambo partnered up with H. R. Regar. The two later built their mill at 700 East Main Street, where thousands of Norristown residents were employed over the years -

This mill produced "Hosiery", tight-fitting garments worn directly on the feet and legs. Most are made by knitting methods. Whether they made "nylons" or socks, I've not determined. I just admire the building each time I walk past it.

While walking past this building on Valentines Day, my mind played the song "Babe" song by Dennis DeYoung.

Babe, I'm leaving, I must be on my way
The time is drawing near
My train is going, I see it in your eyes
The love, the need, your tears
But I'll be lonely without you
And I'll need your love to see me through
Please believe me, my heart is in your hands
And I'll be missing you.

You know it's you babe
Whenever I get weary and I've had enough
Feel like giving up
You know it's you babe
Giving me the courage and the strength I need

Please believe that its true
Babe, I love you.

You know its you babe
Whenever I get weary and I've had enough
Feel like giving up
You know it's you babe
Giving me the courage and the strength I need
Please believe that it's true
Babe, I love you.

Babe, I'm leaving, I'll say it once again
Somehow try to smile
I know the feeling we're trying to forget
If only for a while
But I'll be lonely without you
And I'll need your love to see me through
Please believe me, my heart is in your hands
And I'll be missing you
Babe, I love you.

1 comment:

LadyStyx said...

You're right, it is an impressive building. Never made it to that section of the state as the bus to work took me just short of it to King of Prussia. There are somethings I miss alot about that area but also too many bad memories.