Saturday, February 16, 2008

...sing in perfect harmony

As of February 16, 2008 at 8:00 AM
Steps: 1,329,644
Miles: 566.19


Coca Cola was invented by Doctor John Pemberton a pharmacist from Atlanta, Georgia. He had began work on a coca and cola (kola) nut beverage and it was intended to stop headaches and calm nervousness, but others insist he was attempting to create a pain reliever for himself and other wounded Confederate veterans.

The name was a suggestion given by John Pemberton's bookkeeper Frank Robinson. Being a bookkeeper, Frank Robinson also had excellent penmanship. It was he who first scripted "Coca Cola" into the flowing letters which has become the famous logo of today.

The soft drink was first sold to the public at the soda fountain in Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta on May 8, 1886.

About nine servings of the soft drink were sold each day. Sales for that first year added up to a total of about $50. The funny thing was that it cost John Pemberton over $70 in expanses, so the first year of sales were a loss.

Until 1905, the soft drink, marketed as a tonic, contained extracts of cocaine as well as the caffeine-rich kola nut.

In 1887, another Atlanta pharmacist and businessman, Asa Candler bought the formula for Coca Cola from inventor John Pemberton for $2,300.

By the late 1890s, Coca Cola was one of America's most popular fountain drinks, largely due to Candler's aggressive marketing of the product. With Asa Candler, now at the helm, the Coca Cola Company increased syrup sales by over 4000% between 1890 and 1900.

Until the 1960s, both small town and big city dwellers enjoyed carbonated beverages at the local soda fountain or ice cream saloon. Often housed in the drug store, the soda fountain counter served as a meeting place for people of all ages. Often combined with lunch counters, the soda fountain declined in popularity as commercial ice cream, bottled soft drinks, and fast food restaurants became popular.


On April 23, 1985, the trade secret "New Coke" formula was released. Today, products of the Coca Cola Company are consumed at the rate of more than one billion drinks per day.


I'd like to buy the world a home and furnish it with love,
Grow apple trees and honey bees, and snow white turtle doves.
I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony,
I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company.


Source

5 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

I may be wrong about this, but wasn't Coca Cola originally green?

Karla said...

Drink Dr. Pepper...the joy of every boy and girl...it's the most original softdrink ever in the whole wide world! (okay okay so I'm a drpepperholic) lol

LadyStyx said...

No Chicago, it wasnt. http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/green.asp

Not that it matters to me, Im a Pepsi gal ;)

Intense Guy said...

Wow. I had never heard of the Coke being green colored. Neat website Styxie.

I had heard that Dr Pepper is spelled without the period after Dr for some reason.

I have no brand loyalty :-) I just buy whatever is the weekly special. Now if they had left the coke in coke, I might feel differently.

AliceKay said...

Yep, Karla IS a drpepperholic. Me? Give me a Coke and I'm a happy girl. (i dislike Pepsi) We have several of the old green Coke bottles around here. My sister collects Coke stuff, and we have a few things, too.

According to google...The period (fullstop) after "Dr" was discarded for stylistic and legibility reasons in the 1950s.

Interesting stuff, Iggy.