Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Looking at My Subaru

A while ago, I was looking at my Subaru and was curious about the logo and what it might mean and where it came from...so, you know me...I couldn't sleep nights until I tracked it down.

the subaru logo with six silver stars

Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), the parent company of Subaru, is currently partly owned by the Toyota Motor Corporation, which owns 1/8th of FHI that Toyota in turn, bought from General Motors in 2005.

Subaru is the Japanese name for the star cluster Pleiades, which roughly translated into English means, "to govern", "unite," or "gather together".

The company logo is influenced by the star cluster. The large star in the logo represents Fuji Heavy Industries, and the five smaller stars represent the current five companies that are united under the FHI group.

FHI started out as The Aircraft Research Laboratory in 1917 headed by Chikuhei Nakajima. In 1932, the company was reorganized as Nakajima Aircraft Company, Ltd and soon became the primary manufacturer of aircraft for Japan during World War II.

FHI (Reorganized) was established on July 15, 1953 out of the war rumble when five Japanese companies, known as Fuji Kogyo, Fuji Jidosha Kogyo, Omiya Fuji Kogyo, Utsunomiya Sharyo and Tokyo Fuji Sangyo, joined to form one of Japan's largest manufacturers of transportation equipment.

Bonus points to anyone that can properly pronounce and say those five names, five times, really quickly! And I hope Tori's computer reader doesn't faint or pass away on her!

So now what I really want to know now is, who actually won WWII?

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

That was a very fascinating post. Hope your Subaru has been working out well for you. The model you bought is one I liked, and even looked at a couple of them before buying my car a couple of years ago.

(want some ice?)

MarmiteToasty said...

WOW....... in answer to your last question..... The Brits did :)

I drive a Toyota Previa, and I love it with a passion.... a Subaru sounds just soooooo posh and American lol

ok, back to the grind :) that is life..

x

yellowdoggranny said...

I always thought suaru and toyota and all those japanese cars just were some version of japanese for 'fuckyou roundeyes'.

Karla said...

I always loved my datsun...em err Nissan 280Z. 250,000 miles on it drove like a dream and the only thing that I ever had to replace was the altenator. so who DID really win WWII? Physically the allys did...financially...looks like the Japanese did!(cars and electronics!)

LadyStyx said...

You sure that company aint headed up by OCHAs? Look more like OCHA ships and their mothership than stars to me...

Melissa said...

wow, yellowdog granny! That is the most hilarious thing!

Nice post...Subaru cool car Mr.Intense!

I drive a volvo wagon,its a cute little swed.

Deanna said...

Where are my bonus points??? lol just try to prove that I didn't do it...

Let me know if you figure the other question out... *eyes Marmie*.

ChicagoLady said...

Ok, when did you get a Subaru? I swore you had a different car back when the weather was warm, a long, long, long time ago.

I can pronounce all of those words, but not quickly and not five times. I guess working for a Japanese company comes in handy sometimes, lol.

The winner of WWII would have stayed the Allieds, but after Dr. Deming went to Japan to get them back on their feet, well we all know how that turned out.

Anonymous said...

I think my screen reader is choking... LOL!