Friday, September 11, 2009

Sunset

Yesterday, Thursday September 10th, the rain that had been falling steadily let up and the sky cleared slightly just before the sun set signalling the end of yet another day.

the setting sun smears the sky in pink, purple and yellow
I was aware of many changes going on - the season's move from summer to autumn as the breeze was chilly, blowing a wet spray into the air.

What the dawn would bring, I didn't know beyond the expectation of another day at work and continued struggling with two projects I barely understand. Both of these projects deal with computer-based learning systems - one is for "low-verbal deaf" students and strives to teach them basic English sentence structures. The other is labeled "Multiple Intelligence Teaching Approach" that seeks to use "Problem Based Learning" to overcome 'non-learning' on the part of secondary (High School and Collage) level students that are bored and "disengaged" from their class(es).

As the light left the sky last night, I was also aware of the sounds of passenger jets overhead as they were on their approach to a landing at Philadelphia International Airport. The noise of these jets has changed over the years - the wailing whistling scream has become a more throaty organ-like humming throb. The noise was, in an odd way, reassuring - indicating life goes on - day in and day out - with or without me.

Eight years ago, the skies were silent.

I recall sitting in my office that fateful day working on a project quite different from the ones I grapple with today and seeing the news on CNN's website showing videos of something I couldn't comprehend. Airplanes flying far too low, flashes of fire, billowing smoke and raining debris.

I remember thinking that the bravery and nobility of mankind shone brightly in the bleak darkness of the cruelty and savageness that day.

Today, it is eight years later and ... have we gotten any closer to ending the hatred that climaxed on that day? Sadly, I doubt we have even begun.

In our remembrance of the many acts bravery and sacrifice and the tragic loss of the innocent - we need to remember that the violence that caused them is a universally human condition that we need eternal vigilance to guard and to protect against - and for which we need to find a solution.

It may be idealistic and naive on my part - but I believe that the solution probably doesn't lie in the direction of extermination and termination but rather in understanding motivations.

People that see other people as "regular folks just like themselves" do not hate each other - nor do they call the others "axis of evil" or "monsters" - they see them as neighbors, to help and to aid when the need arises.

I don't suppose my opinion will be terribly popular but I have to wonder just what it was that caused the people to strike out against the USA on September 11, 2001 - How many times has the USA meddled, interfered and plain "messed things up" in the middle east? How is it that one day we give weapons like Stinger missiles to Bin Laden to use against the Russians; aid to Saddam Hussein's Iraq for use against Iran, and the next day they just "aren't our buddies anymore"?

Just what strings were attached to those weapons and what (probably broken) promises were made to them? Were they 'justly' angry at our government?

I understand that how they expressed their anger at a "country with a superiority complex that listens to no one" was misguided and most unfortunate.

...But think about it... work your way past the overheated rhetoric ... What were the actual and real causes for the obvious results? I don't claim to know - I don't - but I won't buy the U.S. Government's self-protective sound bites - without reasoning, proof and critical thinking.

16 comments:

jewelrybyrebecca said...

The hubby is trying to teach my little darlings to keep a clean path to the laundry room. I'm not sure if He's taking care of me or if He just wants his laundry done????

Wow, a lot to think about there. I'm going to avoid all the political stuff on what is already a heavy day. I do agree with you on the "life goes on" It is so true no matter how hard we work on our life and living and leaving a legacy...life goes on with or without.
BTW the sunset photo is one of the most beautiful I have seen in a very long time.

P. S. I received my package today…THANKS!

Martha said...

Wonderfully thought out and composed post.

The sky was amazing last night, were you able to see a rainbow? In Hatfield it was quite beautiful. I was in such awe of the rainbow, I don't take a shot of the sky to the west!

The Wife O Riley said...

Beautiful picture and thoughtful post.

Living by O'Hare airport, it was so sureal 8 years ago when there were no planes.

MarmiteToasty said...

It seems the world just never learns......ever.... can it ever stop?

All I know is that 8 years ago, you and your loverly bunch of friends were not part of my world, my existence..... but, today you and many here are..... and that to me has made my world a better place to be in.....

huge hugs (((((Iggy)))))

x

Lainie said...

I love the photo. So beautiful.

Hugs my friend.

LadyStyx said...

*HUGZ*

AliceKay said...

What an awesome photograph. *hugs*

Deanna said...

Great photos Iggy. I, too, have tons of questions and no answers. But I do know that I'm proud to be an American and that with our many faults, we are as honorable in our intentions as any others.

Dorkys Ramos said...

Beautiful photo to go with such deep thoughts. Thank you for sharing them. I, myself, haven't given much thought to the day believe it or not. To me, it felt like such a long time ago and yet here we are, 8 years later, still confused as to why and how.

I don't know if it's being inconsiderate, rude or disrespectful, but I'd rather avoid all coverage about today. I don't want to remember those days away in school, watching the news replay those images over and over and over day and night. I still remember the songs played on the radio in those sad days. And I still remember consoling residents who lost loved ones in the attacks.

The good memories I have of that time are how quick to help everyone was, groups of residents who left as soon as they could to help out at Ground Zero and my trip weeks later to cheer on the fire dept, police, troops, every single person as they helped with the cleaning efforts. Standing in the crowd wasn't much, but it gave me goosebumps and made me proud to see humanity at its best when it was at its worst.

PictureGirl said...

I agree with your way of thinking, 'Just what have we done to make people in other countries hate us? And it's not just the Arab countries either. We had friends that went to England a couple of years ago and were amazed at the animosity towards the 'Yanks'.

I remember my shock years ago, learning about the atrocities of the Shah of Iran, and we kept him in power!

We are a nation founded on many religions whereas a lot of our 'dis-likers' recognize only one, their own. They consider us the 'infidels'.

I pray for peace, as most of us do, everyday.

Thank you for such a good post.

God Bless America!

yellowdoggranny said...

beautiful sunset picture..

all I can remember from that day was telling my daughter on the phone..'all this is happening and we have George Bush as the president....we're fucked'...

ChicagoLady said...

*bites my tongue*

Beautiful sunset, Iggy!

betty said...

beautiful sunset! I was just thinking this morning, what have we learned in 8 years? and sadly the answer came back "not much". We (collectively not individually or any one reading this blog/comments) are still all about us and are arrogant, proud, boastful, etc. We need to learn to love all people no matter what and put ourselves last over others and then events like 9/11 won't happen....I don't see that happening any time soon......but maybe in our own neck of the woods we can do what we can to promote this type of philosophy; who knows? for me, doing so, opened my heart to a homeless guy and my heart to another who needed a place to stay when rejected by their family

little by little, person by person, we might make a difference; we'll keep trying too; you just don't know

just love.............each other.......like you love yourself

betty

Martha said...

Beautiful photo and wonderful post.

Remembering really got to me yesterday. My son turned on a special on the History channel, I was glued to the TV all evening and just sitting here crying. It was one of the scariest, most awful, heart wrenching days of my life.

Wishing you peace, love and happiness today and every day.

Karla said...

Beautiful picture of the sunset..very very pretty

*bites my tongue with Chicagolady about some of the ...*

But I must say this..perhaps they were pissed at the government..but those ppl in the world trade center did not represent the govt..why not just fly into government buildings and leave the innocents alone?

Anonymous said...

Wow Iggy I think you said it all right there and very beautiful sunset by the way!!