To prevent escapes, this gate is the only way in or out. Inside are 12 acres of cell blocks and rubble.
Once the most famous and expensive and prison in the world, the Eastern State Penitentiary stands today in ruin, a haunting world of crumbing cell blocks and empty guard towers.
Opened in 1829 as part of a controversial movement to change the behavior of inmates through 'confinement in solitude', the Eastern State Penitentiary was the first of its kind. This was the world's first true 'penitentiary,' a prison designed to insprire penitence, or true regret, in the hearts of prisoners.
It is estimated that more than 300 prisons worldwide are based on the Penitentiary's wagon-wheel, or "radial" floor plan.
The prison remained in operation for 142 years. It closed in 1971.
For now, enjoy the infectious smile of our tour guide - as she laughs when:
I dropped a bar of soap at her feet and sloooooooowly bent over in front of her.
And when that didn't work, I demanded to be strip-searched for nail files or metal saws which didn't get any takers either.
And finally I just said in a quiet, menacing Clint Eastwood sort of way, "Does your Mother know you hang out at an all-male prison all day?"
She probably blogs about how she hates dealing with the public.
I'll write more about the prison's history and quirks later, which include Chicago's Al Capone eight month stay and the life-time without parole Cat-Murdering Dog...

18 comments:
I bet you made that tour guide's day. LOL
Loved the pics so far. That last one is very haunting.
Awesome shot of the gargoyle. That shot of the cells is enough to make anyone claustrophobic.
No strip search? You poor thing. I am sure if you went to Leavenworth, they would accomodate you. LOL.
I have an award for you! So take off your prison jumpsuit, and come to the Awards party.
oh my I LOVE gargoyles...
LMFAO@you and the tour guide... it looks like a great unusual place to visit, right up my street as us Brits would say :)
x
wow!...that' place has got to have 'haints'....or ghosts..I love the gargoyles..can't wait for part 2
There is nothing more refreshing than an honest hearty laughing face! You made her day and you know it! *shivers at that gargoyle*
Waiting for more...
so did they achieve their goal to have the prisoners be repentant? fascinating history I'm sure walking that place; if "walls could talk"
I can't wait to hear about the cat murdering dog; Koda is looking forward to that story
enjoy the day :)
betty
What a cool trip. You crack me up with those jokes.
I think we must go here some day! I love the gargoyle! I'm thinking Tara would like it.
Our weekend was a total chill weekend, no real excitement... I kind of enjoyed it!
I absolutely love that gargoyle, he is just gorgeous!! I also looked at the pics to the side on your blog Iggy and that whale mural just took my breath away, just breath taking. I would love to see that in person. Thanks for sharing the pics hun, I love seeing places I never been before. Hugs!
Spend some time in there and you will be begging to reform. I don't see a TV room, gym or "Conjugal visit" room either. that's where the ruler breakers need to go.
Nice meeting you. JennyMac is right.
Totally laughed out loud!!!
What an interesting place....as long as you're a visitor that is! Can't wait to hear more!
Great post... I'm looking forward to the follow-up posts! :)
I just knew your pictures and commentary would be better then the prison website's! I can hardly wait for part two. I didn't give anything away about the cat murdering dog to Karma, either. I want her sitting right up here by the computer with me and we can read it together. I bet it will give her twitchy cat nightmares!! ROFL!! Gets me in a Halloween state of mind--hehe! :):)
Hm. I'm fairly certain I could never be a tour guide. But I KNOW for CERTAIN I couldn't be a guide at a prison. The thought of life inside those walls....makes me insanely sad.
For some reason, I really like visiting prisons. I have only been to one - Alcatraz. This one looks A LOT older (or just more run-down).
"She probably blogs about how she hates dealing with the public."
If she does and you find it could you please let us know? I'd LOVE to hear her take on The Great Soap Bar Incident of 2009.
This is the prison where Ghost Hunters has done a few shows. Great ghost captures here including a famous one now of a ghost in human form running away from the camera. Very interesting. Your story about the tour guide is funny.
Post a Comment