On Sunday, I was walking alone on a particularly beautiful stretch of the Perkiomen trail - it has rock ledges, forests, and the Perkiomen Creek babbles and burbles on one side.
I had walked a considerable way - my legs were tired and my left knee was aching, but the sun was shining for the first time after several wet, cold, and gloomy days and the pleasant breeze was blowing drying air so I just had get outside and enjoy it.
I was walking up to one of the many memorial benches that line the trail and noticed an older, neatly dressed, white-haired man sitting on it eating some cookies he had brought along in a plastic sandwich bag.
As I pulled along side of him, I noticed he seemed a little sad and perhaps slightly forlorn so I smiled extra big and sunny and waved hello to him, and he responded with a "Beautiful day today isn't it?"
To which I replied, "Yes, indeed, they don't come much nicer - and you have picked a beautiful spot, one of the most beautiful ones along the trail." He smiled broadly and patted the bench with one hand, and said, "This is my bench."
Suddenly I realized what he meant. The bench has a memorial plaque that says "Mary, delightful companion, treasured mate, truly wonderful soul and daily missed. Love you always, Buck". I stopped and turned to him and said, "You must be 'Buck'." His face lit up and his eyes sparkled as he nodded affirmatively.
I reach over and shook his hand and said, "You don't know me, but I feel like I know you. I've walked past this bench hundreds of times and I have always admired the setting here in the curving bend of the creek with the deep woods on one side." I continued with, "I have also marveled at a woman named 'Mary', she must of been really special, and I'm sorry I never got to meet her. And likewise I have admired a man named 'Buck' that unabashedly speaks of his love for his wife of many years. I am pleased to meet you."
His eyes got a little shiny and he said, "Mary was a wonderful person and an even more wonderful wife. She was so full of life." He offered me a cookie and even though I didn't really want it, I took it and ate with him. Sharing time with someone is somehow greatly enhanced when you share food too.
He spoke of the times he and Mary had taken their bikes out onto the trail and shared God's work - the woods, the birds and animals, the seasons and the weathers, and when they got home they were revived and ready to face another day and another week.
I smiled to him as I made ready to leave and continue on with my walking. I shook his hand again and said, "Take care Buck. It was a pleasure meeting you and in a way, to meet Mary too." He grinned from ear to ear and I noticed as I walked away, my legs felt a new spring in them and that my achy knee didn't ache anymore.

23 comments:
Beautiful. You made me cry again, by the way. Huggsssss. Buck is lucky to have met you. I love the way the sun is playing in and out of the tree leaves. Beautiful
Awww...wonderful story. I love benches with memorial plagues on them...love reading them.
I bet you made Buck's day!
And yes, when someone offers me a cookie, even if I don't really want it, I never reject it.
Wow...Mr. Intense, you brought tears to my eyes. Wonderful writing..I could totally picture it.
You always do this to me!!!
You always make me cry while I am at work. Note to self: wait til I get home to read your entries.
Beautiful, moving, heartbreaking.
This made my eyes water too. Beautiful story, Iggy. I'm sure he loved retelling those stories about his wife.
This is beautiful and I type through tears....
I LOVE the photo of the path stretching into the distance..... pulling you in but seemingly getting no closer to the end of your journey....
This post made shivers run down my spine.... you see, after dropping my two monday morning charges off at school this morning I drove into town to drop our Sam off at a course he has to attend cos he cant find a job..... and whilst I was out early I just didnt wanna go home, so I drove the short distance from where I had dropped him off to Southsea Seafront and sat on a memorial bench and just stared out to sea, not a soul but me around.... just gulls and Alma's bench..... much loved mum, nan and friend to all..... and I secretly wished that I had known Alma, this woman that was so loved... and I sat there and the tears just rolled down my face.... tears of self pity for me, frustration, fear of the unknown and tears for this woman Alma that was missed by her family...... no one will miss me I thought if I just walked in the water and swam and swam... there would be no bench with my name on it..... just me shoes on the beach......
Iggy, you are the most amazing loving man that I have ever known......
fank you for being you..... know you are loved...
x
Sometimes we really need to stop and listen to those around us. I'm so happy that you did with him. :) Everyone has a story and more often than not...it'll be interesting if we stop and hear it. Thank you for sharing.
thank you for taking the time to talk to Buck; imagine how many people must have walked by him on countless other days and didn't give him the time of day; but you did; stopped, had a cookie with him, allowed him to talk about Mary; I'm sure it made his day that someone cared!
what a kind gesture to do!
and as always, it looks like a wonderful place to spend some time outside in
betty
Beautiful post, Iggy! Thanks for sharing that with us! :)
Extra special moment. *hugs*
made me weep
Beautiful...again. And the photo just adds more perfection to it.
Awwwww, Iggy you are just so damn sweet, hugs ya tight!!! I'm so glad you got to meet Buck, because it seems you made his day and he made yours. Your pictures are beautiful Iggy you must live in a very beautiful place.
What a beautiful stretch of trail, and how wonderful that you got to meet Buck and learn about Mary. I'm sure you made his day, as much as it helped your spirit, it probably lifted his 10 times higher, knowing that someone had paid attention to his plaque and had bothered to read and remember it. You are a very kind and special man.
*sniffles, honks nose and wipes eyes with the back of my hand*
This made me tear up.
Ahhhh! What a beautiful story to share with us. I'm with whisperingwriter, I'm a bit teary too!!
You are a gorgeously kind soul!! Love you!
You are a beautiful human being and that was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
You made me cry!
What a sweet and kind thing for you to do for someone you don't even know.
I like you.
This is beautiful. Just beautiful.
Awww Iggy...so beautiful...both you and Buck. HUGS!
OMG..I instantly feel in love with the photo and wanted to step into it, but I was not expecting your story..you touched my heart and soul..and made me cry! Totally unexpected, my friend.
YOU have a gift..keep writing and touching hearts! You are a beautiful, beautiful soul, Iggy. I am so glad we are friends. :)
~g-♥
I have missed visiting your blog and this was beautiful. So glad you and Buck got to meet each other, have a food communion, and remember Mary. :):) Funny how when your soul is lifted that the physical aches and pains somehow ease, too. I must be weird. This didn't make me want to cry--it made me want to smile and laugh and dance! :):)
Post a Comment