Dear Diary,
Today, I woke up in a foul mood. I realized that I hadn't actually spoken to anyone using my vocal cords in over three days. I looked outside the window of the living room from my low angle of laying on the sofa and saw gray clouds moving slowly as the garish rainbow colored flag on my flagpole snapped in the breeze.
Having gone to sofa the night before with a mix of head cold, depression, inexplicably elevated blood sugar after having only eaten a high fiber bowl of sawdust cereal called All-Bran, and a huge headache, I had hoped I'd feel ... even a little more energetic when I awoke. I had even told myself I could sleep in if it would help.
Having not made any really definite and concrete plans for the day, I watched Thomas the Train on PBS with slack-jawed disinterest. Emily was mean to Thomas. Sighing at the pointlessness, I finally got up because nature called.
Showering and putting on brand new walking shoes for the first time, I pondered the forlorn worn out pair on the floor beside the door. Deciding I needed to find the sage turtle of age-old wisdom as well as a forgiving dirt path to break in the new shoes, I went to the Oaks Reach of the Schuylkill Canal in Mont Clare, near Phoenixville. On my way out, I reached down and picked up the old worn boots... just in case. Someone was right, my parents should have named me "Ole Justin Case". Always with the Plan "B."
I found my temper quick to rise even before pulling out the driveway, as the guy that lives across the street backed down his driveway doing about 30 mph, slammed on the brakes, skidded 20 feet, hopped the curb, just missing my mailbox, and then tore down the street blowing the stop sign and failing to indicate when he turned. What a moron - somehow he managed to reproduce and has two little girls. ‘Wonderbar.’ He was no doubt, off to buy lottery tickets or something of equally critical urgency.
As I turned down Long Level Road to go to the parking lot where the road bends at the canal, a street department work truck was sitting in the road with a dozen orange traffic cones and six guys standing around it with absolutely no one working. There were two flag guys to direct the non-existent traffic and when the first guy saw me he waved me to go by, "Doh! You idiot, I know! There is NEVER anyone on this road!" I drove by him doing the speed limit so he decided to wave his flag indicating I should slow down. I reacted by rolling the window down and giving him a one finger wagging salute. No wonder every public works job costs millions of dollars and takes weeks to get done.
As you can tell, my mood was rapidly improving, not...
Parking the car, I took a deep breath and told myself to settle down. Deep breaths... in and out... I walked over to the canal towpath past a big sign indicating "No Bikes, Walking Trail Only!" I think to myself, "Thank gosh, I won't have to content with the idiots that think they are training for, or worse yet, actually in the Tour De France!"
No more than thirty feet down the narrow towpath I hear, "Hey you! Get out my way!" from a jackass on a bike. I turn to him, and softly said, "I'm in a very, very bad mood. I suggest you just turn around and disappear quietly." which prompts a long string of profanity from the guy to which I turned my back on and pointedly ignore.
A few minutes later I hear him crashing through the woods as he goes around me via the jungle. Morons can be so stubborn.
After a time, I get to Sage Old Turtle’s hideout. By now, I know not even seeing the big turtles is going to brighten me up any. Not even one that is as big as the lid on a 5-gallon paint bucket. I feebly wave to him or her on the way by, deciding not to speak, as I wasn’t going to be in the proper mood to listen. I continue my solitary walk up towpath and go under the road bridge and onto the river road.
Here I see people walking – and to my dismay, they are all couples. Each guy had a woman with him. Each woman had a guy with her. Lowering my eyes and pretending they simply just didn’t exist, I go on to the towering Pennsylvania Railroad bridge.
Usually the sight of this grand structure stirs some sort of awe in me, but today I just saw the flaws, cracks, rusty and broken railings and damage that time and man had inflicted on it.
Deciding to get off the road and down to the river for a better view of the bridge, I slip slightly in the mud straining a muscle in my leg. Muttering to myself while wincing, I head further down the side trail to the river’s edge more closely watching my footing and I bang my head on a low hanging branch. You really do see stars, you know.
At the river’s edge, beneath the crumbling bridge, half buried in the mud was a badly beaten bicycle. I stopped, looked at it, and thought to myself, “I wonder what its story is? Lost, forlorn, physically mangled, alone, half buried, and perhaps long forgotten by the little boy that once rode it.
I suddenly backed away – the image of the bike burning, searing, engraved in my head. To identify so strongly with a rusty old bike badly frightened me.
I slowly retraced my steps, as I walked back to my car, deep in thoughts far too dark to ever share with anyone – back past the handholding couples, the big turtles and the folicking dogs at the dog run, ignoring them all.
Sigh, another day gone. How many more will there be?
A bad day to match the good day I had previously. My life has been very full – with many highs and many matching lows – the good equaled by the bad.
Already mangled, I am quite ready to “be one with the bike” – half buried somewhere and soon to be forgotten. I’ll never know some of the highs like finding a soulmate – or having children and watching them graduate high schools or attending their weddings and seeing grandchildren come along – nor will I ever endure the lows of losing any of them. I guess, just in case.

26 comments:
*sends you a hug*
I hope your days get much better soon. I don't like you sad. In the meantime, ((hug)).
what a gut wrenching post! I have had those moments..and I pray that you find your peace and your rainbow in the dawning of a new day....
a little big of depression goes a long way.
I don't know what it is all about, but I'm lifting you up in my own way as I write this.
Blessings on your house...
I've felt exactly like that for the last 8 days...it's hard because people expect me to be ole slap happy joke a minute jackie and i dont fucking feel like it..but i know i will pull out of this because i have a happy heart and so do you my friend...you have a happy heart...you will soon be pickin' and a grinnin'...and so will i...much love to you my friend..much love to you.
I'm so sorry.......life sometimes is soooo hard to deal with........sending caring thoughts your way
betty
*HUGZ* Seems like things are getting many of us down these days. Really majorly sucks. Hoping today is a brighter day for you.
Sending hugs from across town. I am sorry you are feeling low. I do admire that you can put the feelings into words so well, most times my depression stays between me myself and I, so not to worry those around me! It sucks to look back and realize although life has been good, it has not turned out as I had thought. Yes, I have a child, who is a treasure, but not a soul mate to enjoy those walks in the park or to turn to when life just feels too much. No one to take "over" on those days when I want to just hid from the world! Here is hoping the sun comes out later today.
oh Iggy that was a good laugh at first about the road crew workers because that is so true and then towards the end its a good cry and heartbreaking, I hope you feel better hun HUGS
My heart goes out to you. I've been alone (by choice--I decided I have absolutely no taste and cannot see the forest for the trees when it comes to a mate) since 1993. I handed it over to my guardian angel and mostly don't think about it. But--once in a while it does make me sad, too--that wish for finding my soulmate thing. It does pass. There is too much to be grateful for in this life to be down for long. I wish you would be able to have all you desire for your happiness. And if not all you desire--that you will have ooooddles enough happiness to be content anyways. :):) Best to you, my friend. You are a wonderful person and have an amazingly beautiful life. :)
There is never a post of yours that shouldn't be read. I'm with Lynn - even in this very dark post, you managed to make me both smile and cry. I hope this darkness passes soon. You are an amazingly awesome person. Huge hugs and do what I do - keep on keeping on.
Sorry you are having a bad day.
And I know what you mean, we live along the canal and I can't stand when bikers are biking in the no bike zone!!
We also live near this park with all these hiking paths and there are "no horse" paths that we choose to go on so we can let our dogs run loose and imagine our surprise when we come across horses on the no horse trails! Argh!
Oh, guess my added crankiness probably isn't helping yours....
Sending hugs and pyrayers your way....
*Sends you an very large..very tight HUG* as you did me the other day whenI was down..Know you are loved..Maybe not the way you deserve but you ARE loved!
I've not been on blogs, as of late, but for some reason I went to my blog roll today and stopped on your name. I am saddened to find you dwelling within the shadows..deep ones it seems.
I hope you are feeling "light" today..even tiny shards are precious within the shadows.
I will send you an email soon!
Energies of LIGHT to you,
~gypsy-heart
You are loved more than you even know. I hope you feel better soon hun. BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully all of these wonderful comments have cheered you up a little. Maybe you should make yourself some of the orange cone ice cream treat. When I was in my crappy mood a week and a half ago it cheered me right up.
Hang in there, dear friend.
I actually read this earlier, but wasn't sure what to say. I'm still not, to be honest. So, I'll just send you hugs, hugs, and more hugs! And some happy smiley faces tooo! You can never send out too many hugs and smiles!
Hugs, hugs, and more hugs... With some smiles thrown in for good measure!
(((((((((Iggy)))))))))))) never say never.... you never know what is just around the bend on one of your walks....
I to have hit to many lows especially this past few months... cant seem to snap out of it as more and more shit from others and life gets dumped on my shoulders for me to sort through....
Your heart and soul sings dear you.... and you are loved, and I know its not hands on and touchable, but believe me when I say that YOU touch so many hearts and minds every day.....
fank you for being here and a part of my world....
and if I was within arms reach of you, I would bitchslap you into kingdom come LOL and then ya would regret the day you wanted to be liked to a tangled old bike :)
((((Iggy))) hugs and much much love..
x
I'm sorry you had such an awful day. And you shouldn't apologize for writing this (you apologized in your latest post and you don't need to). Sometimes you need to write out a bad day and just feel it, you know?
Thinking of you...
Just when it seems the darkness will never end....a light shines from above.
Hang in there friend. There is always light. Sometimes we just don't see it because our eyes are closed.
I am sorry that you recently had such a bad day. You needed to get it out... I hope things are better.
Why do you assume you will never find a soul mate. An aunt of mine met one at 82. They were together until she was 96.
Hope endures. Always. Grab onto it.
be well...
Wow Iggy, what a seriously intense entry. I sure hope you are doing better today. You know I'm here for ya! *BIG HUGS*
Sorry I missed sending you support on t he day you wrote this. It sounds as if so many of us can relate to what you said. Those dark days can be so very dark. I'm sending you some positive energy and happy thoughts. I hope you find the light at the end of the tunnel.
((HUGS))
I really hope you are doing better today...
I see stars when I attempt a cartwheel.
This may sound completely ignorant to you, but I really do wish that those of us who have a partner in life could stress the beauty of being alone. That makes me sound ungrateful for my husband or the relationship we've created, but I'm not. I'm just more in awe of the beauty of life itself, and that I know NOW how much I missed out on, being single and wishing I weren't. There is so much to explore and learn in life, so many people to meet and find joy with, that don't involve romance at all. It certainly isn't the end all, be all, nor is having children. Again, that might make me sound ignorant because I have both in my life, but having them has reinforced the ignorance of who I used to be. The girl who wanted and wished and failed to see what she had before her.
Don't be like my ignorant old self and fail to see what you have before you. :) What you have are wonderful things, and time is the most wonderful of all. Freedom, time, energy, personal touch....use it all.
Post a Comment