Sunday, March 15, 2009

More on New York, New York

flat iron building in new york city - it is triangle shaped and fairly tall

The Flatiron Building, or Fuller Building as it was originally called, is located at 175 Fifth Avenue in the borough of Manhattan, and is considered to be one of the first skyscrapers ever built. Upon completion in 1902 it was one of the tallest buildings in New York City. The building sits on a triangular island block at 23rd Street, Fifth Avenue, and Broadway.

I found myself agape, admiring a skyscraper — the prow of the Flatiron Building, to be particular, ploughing up through the traffic of Broadway and Fifth Avenue in the late-afternoon light.
– H.G. Wells (1906)

The building, which took its name from the shape forced on it by the triangular lot it was built on – the Flatiron block, so called because it was shaped like a clothing iron – was officially named the Fuller Building after George A. Fuller, founder of the company that financed its construction. Locals took an immediate interest in the building, placing bets on how far the debris would spread when the wind knocked it down.

detail shot of the building showing the fancy moldings and flourishes in the outside trim

Offices in the "pointy end" are in huge demand as they have an unobstructed view of the Empire State Building.

new city skyline showing lots of wooden water tanks

They must also have a good view of a lot of water tanks. Notice the Empire State building peeking over the buildings?

Marmite Toasty recommends this amusing diversion. It put a smile on my face.

14 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

We have a Flatiron building here in the city I live in. It is very much like the one in NYC. There is also a sculpture outside of an old-fashioned iron.

Karla said...

I have always wanted to see NewYork, to see the sites but I don't want to go to the city because it's got way too many people for me to be around..can you say panic attack??? LOL But you take me places I could never see irl and I thank you! *hugs*

MarmiteToasty said...

I LOVE that building..... Ive seen it on the telly or on someones blob or somewhere..... I would so love to see it for real and my dream is to one day go to the top of the Empire State Building just like on that film where those 2 lovers meet for the first time lol...

I find it wellabit funny those water towers you have on top of buildings lmfao....... we just dont have them over here, we have proper plumbed in water :)

happy sunday dear Iggy....glad you liked the daft game LOL

x

The Wife O Riley said...

I've always wondered about that building when they show it on TV. Thanks!

LadyStyx said...

The game is cute!

Sleepless in Seattle, good movie Marmy! One of my favs to watch.

Ummm interesting perspective of the building in that first pic....

AliceKay said...

Great pics. Can't wait to see more of New York City.

yellowdoggranny said...

you have to go to one of my friends blogs..he's a phtographer and just won a first place price and the indies for best documentary..
it's otilius@blogspot.com
it's called new york nitty gritty and takes the most fantastic pictures of new york city and other places when he travels...you will love them..i've seen that flat iron building in dozens of shots from him and also the esb...the last one i just saw was taken in seattle and it's breathtaking..check him out for me...you won't be sorry..

Anonymous said...

Good post.


his is the way I like to visit New York... From the comfort of my own home with the knowledge the mountains are close by. I find cities too busy, and since - from what I can gather - New York is far busier than even Cardiff or London.... Well, I think I'll give visiting it a miss, thanks.

Deanna said...

Interesting post. The architecture is amazing! I've been to NY for a conference at Poughkepesie (sp?)and we spent an afternoon in NYC. Not nearly enough time to see the sites. The one thing some of us did do, though, was go to the top of the Trade Center. We were the last elevator up before they closed for the day. I'll be eternally grateful that I got to do that before 911.

Deanna said...

Oh, and that diversion of Marmie's is pretty squirrelly ;)

Lainie said...

Way Cool!

sugarlens said...

I have never heard of the Flatiron Building...thanks for the education! I shall look for it the next time I am in NYC!

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the one that brings this up, but that frist shot of the building in silhouette...

I think it should be called the "Phalic Building"! LOL

Thanks for the info on it though... Very interesting indeed!

ChicagoLady said...

My mind went right into the gutter with LadyStyx, after seeing the first picture. Interesting story about that building, Iggy.