The images showed that the probable source of the clots (there were three larger ones in my lungs) was the calf of my left leg. Forced off my feet for a bit, I was unable to walk much, and unfortunately my weight ballooned.
After several weeks of intense Physical Therapy for my shoulder, I was able to walk more normally, swinging my arms as I did so - for the first time in many months. I was able to use the treadmill at the local YMCA as well as the swimming pool, and with some effort (mostly stubborn muleheadedness) I worked myself to the point were I could walk 90 minutes at 3 1/2 miles an hour on a 8 percent incline.
The Doctor asked me if I felt "recovered," and my answer was "I don't know. I'd have to test myself."
So yesterday morning found me at the Hamburg Reservoir, (north of Reading, Pennsylvania) and looking at a sign that said "Commemorating the Appalachian Trail - 75 Years - 1937 to 2012 - Georgia to Maine. This sign is at the foot of Blue Mountain and near the location of the now long gone Winsor Furnace and the famous Hawk Mountain.
I used to walk up the mountain here when I was in Boy Scouts (many years ago) and have not attempted the rather strenuous hike in years. Could I do it? The path from the parking lot looked daunting.
About 1/2 a mile of steady walking up the path brought me to the crystal clear waters of the reservoir. The morning was cool, but I had started to sweat pretty freely from the exertion.
At the far end of the reservoir a small stream trickles down from the heights and the path wends its way through the green rhododendron bushes. I said to myself, "Okay, slow and steady. Its about a mile and half climb from here to the ridge line."


Time seemed to slow, the only sounds were the gurgling of the stream beside me, and the call of the birds lost from view high in the still bare trees.

At length, I passed a couple walking hand and hand that stopped and said, "Gorgeous morning!" And I replied, "Indeed it is!"

After stopping only once for a minute to catch my breath at a particularly steep part of the trail, I at long last reach the ridge line trail. I exulted! "I did it!" The trail from here to the overlook, while long and rocky, is basically level. One step after another, I plodded onwards. After some time, I spotted a neon yellow vest ahead, "I'm catching up to someone! Me!! Slow pokey me!" and then the vest disappeared at a bend in the trail.
"Oh well," I thought, "I guess they got their second wind." And onwards I went. The path getting more rocky and difficult. Suddenly, I was spooked by a voice behind me!
It was a lady wearing a neon yellow vest and two friends of hers, walking determinedly behind me. "Where did they come from? I thought to myself?" as they eventually overtook me and went by me. Somewhat befuddled by the exertion of the hike, and confused by the need to eat, I let the mystery of their appearance go. By that time, we were nearly at the overlook.
"Ugh! Look at the rocks underfoot, now I remember why I didn't come up here all that often!" I slowly scrambled over them and at long last, the object of my walk came into view. The Pinnacle. 1635 feet above sea-level, and 920 feet above the level of the parking lot, the overlook is spectacular. The three ladies that passed me asked me to take their photograph, which I did, asking them, "I thought I saw you ahead of me, and then you spooked me coming up behind me."
With a loud voice, overheard by the dozen or so people sitting in the rocks around us, one of the ladies says, "Jenny had to stop and pee!"
My brain flickered, and I thought, "oh...Oh... OH!!!!"
After a brief snack on a cool rock, during which I congratulated myself for having made it to the top. I started back down the hill, still working on getting arm around so I could pat myself on the back, when I saw three young guys in shorts and t-shirts RUN up the path I had so laboriously trod.
Now that burst my bubble! :)





17 comments:
So proud of you and so happy!
In regards to the guys RUNNING compared to your labored walking: never compare your beginning with someone else's middle.
Also...I'd give up chocolate if I could walk even a half mile right now. One...step...at a time.
Aw!!! the guys running up the hill were probably trained to do so. You were just starting out! You did very well and should definitely be proud!
And I cannot believe Parsley actually said she'd give up chocolate. No way!!
Woooo Hoooo!!!! What an achievement! And the view looks like it was certainly worth the effort. So proud of you!
I cannot imagine the thrill of accomplishment. The view is so amazing. I am struggling to walk from my bed to the bathroom and back today. Apparently one of the grands thought they needed to be more generous and share with me (actually both of us). Today was supposed to be the day I finished my taxes. I'm just trying to sit upright and not puke for more than five minutes.
Congratulations! You have so much to be proud of!
You did great!!!
proud of you..I find my self not so out of breath now that I'm starting to lose weight again..6 month old babies will do that.
Hooray! You made it! And you're back to photo-documenting your gorgeous walks in all those interesting places! So I don't have to walk ;)
I'm proud of you, too. You worked hard and have accomplished so much. :) What a spectacular view!
What a fantastic view! Show us some buds and blooms if it is so warm and summer like there..help your freezing their butts off Midwest friends! That was some walk..you need one of those pedometers..I walk at my own pace..and just tell others if I am walking too slow take off without me I will catch up or you will catch up with me on the way back. I like to stop to take photos/rest. You are doing good..walk on!! :)
That is truly fantastic! A wonderful accomplishment to be sure! You described it so well, It reminded me of my trip up to the top of Beacon Rock with Fred and my room mate. I couldn't really express to my room mate how great it felt, but boy, it was great. I feel your excitement!
I'm so very proud of you. Chin up, you did much better than you could have done 18 months ago and much better than I can do now.
Wow! What a beautiful hike--and high! Congrats on making it to the top! I have a fear of heights and just seeing those people sitting out on the rock cropping made my stomach flip. I'd be okay on the trail--but I stay away from edges and looking directly down. Give me a vast, expansive view (back from the edge) and I'm fine. Lovely pics! Thanks for bringing us along. :):)
Congratulations on making it to the summit!
Those three guys may have run up, but you had the opportunity to actually enjoy your surroundings while "plodding along". I would much rather walk than run.
Ah, I am so glad you are blogging again. I remember these type of posts about your walks. I have always enjoyed reading them and looking at the pictures.
I knew it was a pee pee stop before you exposed them. ha ha ha ha
My sis-in-law has some of those pp stop stories that make you laugh so hard you want to find your own spot quickly. I've tried to be careful when I've been out bird watching. I have two stories of my own -- can't remember if I've written about them. (I sometimes can't remember if I've written something on my blog. That is age starting to catch up?)
Post a Comment