Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Why Do We Anthropomorphize?

Giving human characteristics to animals, inanimate objects or natural phenomena is a human trait called “to anthropomorphize.”

Anthropomorphism carries many important implications. For example, thinking of a nonhuman entity in human ways renders it worthy of moral care and consideration. In addition, anthropomorphized entities become responsible for their own actions — that is, they become deserving of punishment and reward.

Although we like to anthropomorphize, we do not assign human qualities to each and every single object we encounter. What accounts for this selectivity? One factor is similarity. An entity is more likely to be anthropomorphized if it appears to have many traits similar to those of humans (for example, through human-like movements or physical features such as a face).

-Courtesy of Photojournalist Alice Kay
I don't see any face but it is easy to see that this poor, down on his luck OCHA is "riding the rails" (if the train ever comes!) ...Tossed from the saloon that featured Coors Light on tap because he had no money - he desperately wants to move on.

 Where will he go? What will become of him? Is he destined to be run over and flattened like many of his ilk?

I hate to tell him that his wait for "the train" might be a long one. Those rails, while they connect at a nearby junction to others that head north (to destinations as exotic as Niagara Falls) and south to old mountain towns like Wilkes-Barre and "Jim Thorpe" (founded as Mauch Chunk in 1818), have not been served by a train in some time (sad to say.)

Well I lay my head on the railroad track
Waiting on the Double E
But the train don`t run by here no more
Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me
Poor poor pitiful me
Oh these boys won`t let me be
Lord have mercy on me
Woe woe is me


Those rails whose very existence were fought for and doggedly repaired after being badly damaged, repeatedly, by flooding caused by bad storms have an uncertain future - a future as uncertain as that poor, down on his luck, Orange Cone Head Alien's.

The late, great Lehigh Valley Rail Road

11 comments:

Parsley said...

Ah, I've missed these posts! Every time my family sees an OCHA we think of you.

Far Side of Fifty said...

:) You always make me smile..somethings are so common..years ago I paid no attention ti OCHA's now I see one and think of you! Let me tell you Minnesota has construction all summer too! :)

Jacqi Stevens said...

I saw one of his cousins out this way the other day. Must 'a caught a transcontinental...

Deanna said...

At least he was tossed out of that pub before he was fall down staggering drunk. We, too, think of you everytime we see an OCHA. Writing my remembering posts has made me very nostalgic for things and people long gone and no longer used, like those railroad tracks.

AliceKay said...

That OCHA might not have to wait that long before a train comes by to take him to far off places. That section of track is actually still operational; there just hasn't been any service there because there are no businesses in town that use rail.

I was told last week that Lehigh Railway (different from Lehigh Valley Railroad) is now servicing the Growmark (formerly Agway) fertilizer blend plant now, but only because they're right next to the junction with the mainline. The section of track south of "the saloon", the section owned by my family's feed business, will most likely never be repaired and put back in service. Most of the track runs along a creek, and the creek has washed it out too many times to count. My dad fought in Harrisburg and Washington to have it replaced after the Flood of '72 destroyed it, but since we weren't getting good rail service before the last flood came along in September of 2011, we haven't repaired that section of track. We're getting everything in by truck now. :\

yellowdoggranny said...

you know that every time we see a ocha..we think of you..and there is constant construction on I-35 and every time I go out on it I see them and think, wonder what ole Karl is doing..?

Queenie Jeannie said...

It's true...because of you I always notice the OCHA's and try to photograph them when I can! Big hugs!

Anne Johnson said...

Out in Western Maryland they've made a rail trail along the abandoned tracks. It's shady -- and flat!

Rita said...

I cannot look at an orange cone without thinking of you. ;)
I anthropomorphize endless inanimate objects--from cars to microwaves to pens. And then, of course, there's Karma--LOL! Can't help myself. The world is filled with such a variety of energies. :)

LadyStyx said...

omg... the OCHA stories are back???

*goes to dig around for some of those pix she took last year*

ChicagoLady said...

Maybe he can make it out to where a nice pretty lady will pick him up in her car and take him to an active train line?